TEXT ERRORS FOR 3 JOHN 15?

Enoch

Is this bugs in the texts or do I misunderstand something???

Here is the text apparatus supplied by accordance for 3 John 15:

3. Johannes 15

⸀ αδελφοι A 33. 81✱ al syhmg |

⸁ ασπασαι ℵ pc |

⸀1 φ. σου Ψ ╎

αδελφους 630. 1505. 1611 pc syh boms |

⸆ αμην L 614. 1852 al vgmss |

The End of 3 John (3 John 15) is missing in some translations & in Greek texts supplied by Accordance (except Textus Receptus): εἰρήνη σοι. ἀσπάζονταί σε οἱ φίλοι. ἀσπάζου τοὺς φίλους κατ᾿ ὄνομα. Or vs 15 may be included in vs 14. The Accordance NA-27-GBS text ends with ἐλπίζω δὲ εὐθέως ⸉σε ἰδεῖν⸊, καὶ στόμα πρὸς στόμα ⸀λἁλήσομεν (no vs 15). However the textual apparatus for vs 15 does have textual variations listed for vs 15 (though the sigla as described in Instant Details do not seem inaccurate; not necessarily Accordance' fault; e.g, ⸀αδελφοι "⸀The word following in the text is replaced with one or more words by the witnesses cited;" but αδελφοι is actually the word in Alexandrinus; αδελφοι is not replaced by Alexandrinus, but αδελφοι is the replacement).

3 John 15 in Vaticanus & Sinaiticus as supplied by Accordance do not have vs 15. 3 John ends as in Accordance's NA-27-GBS with no vs 15. But when I went on line & actually looked at the photos of Vaticanus & Sinaiticus, there exists vs 15 as clear as a bell! Moreover, my maroon UBS NT has vs 15 without any textual apparatus indicating that any mss omit it. (Alexandrinus also has vs 15.) So I am puzzled? Why doesn't Accordance show vs 15 for NA-27-GBS & why does Accordance leave vs 15 out of Vaticanus & Sinaiticus? Is this a bug in the program?

Thanks for your consideration or correction of my understanding.

Enoch,

It looks like your issue is stemming from the fact that your search text is set either to the GNT-TR or GNT-BYZ. Neither of these versions have v. 15. So if you type in 3 Jn 15 in the search entry it displays the last verse it contains, v. 14, and when you open additional texts in parallel they will only show v. 14. If you set your search text to something other than those two, you should see the appropriate results.

post-5629-12615994033_thumb.png

Our NA27 Apparatus module matches the print edition. If the use of that specific siglum is incorrect, it is an error in the print edition.

I did, however, spot one small bug. 3 Jn 15 in the NA27 Apparatus is actually tagged as 3 Jn 14. I'm not sure if this added to any of your confusion. We will make a note of it and correct it.

Keep in mind the UBS apparatus will not always contain the same treatment of variants as the NA27.

HTH

Thanks for the response, very much. However, I just tried 3 John GNT-T, Vaticanus, & Sinaiticus. I searched for 3 John period, setting the text with the left oval at top left in the bar immediately above the text window. All three texts stopped with verse 14 λαλήσομεν. However, when I brought up the whole Bible text using the Resource Palette, verse 15 was there. Is that a bug?

Have a great day.

Enoch,

It looks like your issue is stemming from the fact that your search text is set either to the GNT-TR or GNT-BYZ. Neither of these versions have v. 15. So if you type in 3 Jn 15 in the search entry it displays the last verse it contains, v. 14, and when you open additional texts in parallel they will only show v. 14. If you set your search text to something other than those two, you should see the appropriate results.

post-5629-12615994033_thumb.png

Our NA27 Apparatus module matches the print edition. If the use of that specific siglum is incorrect, it is an error in the print edition.

I did, however, spot one small bug. 3 Jn 15 in the NA27 Apparatus is actually tagged as 3 Jn 14. I'm not sure if this added to any of your confusion. We will make a note of it and correct it.

Keep in mind the UBS apparatus will not always contain the same treatment of variants as the NA27.

HTH

Thanks for the response, very much. However, I just tried 3 John GNT-T, Vaticanus, & Sinaiticus. I searched for 3 John period, setting the text with the left oval at top left in the bar immediately above the text window. All three texts stopped with verse 14 λαλήσομεν. However, when I brought up the whole Bible text using the Resource Palette, verse 15 was there. Is that a bug?

Have a great day.

Check your workspace against the one attached below. I am seeing v. 15 as expected. I have circled my "search text" in red. Verify that this is set to GNT-T (or any Greek text other than BYZ/TR). Also, as a last resort run Check for Updates

post-5629-126202600015_thumb.png

Archived