Searching MT-LXX Parallel by Symbols

Abram K-J

I've been reading all the documentation I can find on the MT-LXX Parallel, but still have not figured out how (assuming it's possible) to search the tool by all the Symbols I want. (I mean "Symbols" in the sense that Tov uses it, with his "Explanation of Symbols" at the beginning.)

There is a Symbols search field, but it in the selection menu it doesn't show what I would have thought were all the options for searching, for example:

13 --- '' Long minus (at least four lines).

If I want to find all the times this notation occurs, is there a way to do this?

In other words, if I want to find all the instances that Tov-Polak consider a plus, a long plus, a minus, etc., how can I do that?

I can use the "Comments" field for "minus," but that doesn't show results in the actual biblical text.

Some symbols seem to work fine, like

47 =%vap Change from active to passive form in verb, or from causative to active (diathesis) This phenomenon often involves pluses or minuses of pronouns (attributable to Greek translator or to Hebrew scribe).

... which I just search as "vap" with the "Symbols" field selected, then get the results.

I know from a training seminar that if you are searching for the actual occurrence of a punctuation mark, there's a specific way to construct the argument. As the seminar trainer put it, a question mark as meta-character is different from question mark as character. To find all questions (or question marks) in a given text, then, use “.?” rather than just ?

So the search ".%" gives me results in MT-LXX for times the % appears. But ".---"" does not give me the results for #13 above.

And... the answer would seem to be... search "Symbols" by numbers. So if I can realize my above desired outcome by searching for "13."

Except that it seems I am receiving verse reference results from the Greek column when I do so. For example:

29 =@...a Etymological exegesis according to Aramaic, etc.

I search "29" and receive also results in the Greek column that have verse references (at 1Sam24:1, where there are references to 23:29).

Generally, Abram, I'd say you are right. Search the symbols field for the number of the symbol. As to why the verse references show up, my hunch is a bug in the module development, but I'd let one of the developers of the module (or one familiar with it at least) answer more definitively.

Ok, thanks, Joel--I'll look forward to hopefully hearing from one of them.

That you can search this tool by Symbol is already really cool--I hope there's a way to perfect it, which would make it even more valuable for study and research.

Curious if any developers can comment on this, especially as to whether or not this might be able to be addressed in a future update?

I can post more examples of what I'm referring to, if that's helpful, though it seems to be an across-the-board thing. Thanks!

And... the answer would seem to be... search "Symbols" by numbers. So if I can realize my above desired outcome by searching for "13."

Except that it seems I am receiving verse reference results from the Greek column when I do so. For example:

29 =@...a Etymological exegesis according to Aramaic, etc.

I search "29" and receive also results in the Greek column that have verse references (at 1Sam24:1, where there are references to 23:29).

I'm wondering if anyone can speak to the above phenomenon. Should I report it within the app as a correction?