About Exegetical Summaries Series

YingLam

Hi,

Anyone having used this before? I have read descriptions about it but cannot find one review. I would love to hear from someone from a perspective of customer.......

YingLam

I have used the hard copies of Hebrews and James. They are produced by SIL people so they are linguistically quite

competent and helpful. On each verse they summarize how translations and commentaries view the various interpretations.

The great Greek scholar Harold Greenlee has compiled a number of them.

Now, I assume you are asking about what I think you are. Logos is also on pre-pub with this collection - if we are talking about the

same thing.

Will

Thanks.................................so much.

Just to add a brief note regarding the Exegetical Summaries published by SIL. A few years ago I had the opportunity to participate in the development of what was to be an Exegetical Summary series involving Old Testament pericope texts. This series of books is designed especially for Bible translators, but it is very useful for those who are pursuing a more intense study of the Old or New Testament. I had the opportunity to work with James Pohlig who did a Summary of Malachi and Joel. These are both very fine studies. I would certainly encourage their use as a helpful resource in dealing with the original languages of the New Testament and Old Testament. They would prove a valuable resource for Accorance if that would become possible.

Harold Hosch

• 5 years later...

I re-discovered today these commentary.
They are very interesting for me, especially for the (grammar/lexicon) question the pose, and then the long list of answers taken from most of commentary.

An extract from 1 Peter 2:16 (I highlighted in red why I love it)

1 Peter 2:16 --- asa free (people) and not havingb freedom as a cloakc of-evild but as slavese of-God.
LEXICON—a. ὡς[/size] (LN 64.12): ‘as’ [bNTC, LN, NIC, WBC; KJV, NAB, NIV, NRSV, REB, TEV], ‘like’ [NJB], not explicit [CEV, NLT, TNT].
b. pres. act. participle of ἔχω[/size] (LN 57.1): ‘to have’ [LN], ‘to use’ [bNTC, NIC; all versions except NLT, REB], not explicit [NLT]. The phrase ‘having as a cloak’ is translated ‘to make excuse’ [WBC], ‘to provide excuse’ [REB]. See this verb at 2:12.
c. ἐπικάλυμμα[/size] (LN 28.56) (BAGD p. 294): ‘cloak’ [KJV, NAB, REB, TNT], ‘cover’ [bAGD, NIC; NJB], ‘covering’ [bNTC], ‘pretext’ [LN; NRSV], ‘veil’ [bAGD], ‘excuse’ [WBC; CEV, NLT], ‘cover-up’ [NIV], ‘a means of covering up’ [LN]. This noun is also translated as a verb: ‘to cover up’ [TEV].
d. κακία[/size] (LN 88.105) (BAGD 1.a. p. 397): ‘evil’ [LN, NIC; NIV, NRSV, TEV], ‘wickedness’ [bAGD,BNTC, LN; NJB, TNT], ‘vice’ [bAGD; NAB], ‘wrongdoing’ [REB], ‘maliciousness’ [KJV]. This noun is also translated as a verb: ‘to cause trouble’ [WBC], ‘to do evil’ [NLT], ‘to do wrong’ [CEV]. See this word at 2:1.
e. δοῦλος[/size] (LN 87.76) (BAGD 4. p. 206): ‘slave’ [bAGD, LN, NIC, WBC; NJB, NLT, REB, TEV], ‘servant’ [bNTC; CEV, KJV, NAB, NIV, NRSV, TNT].
QUESTION—What relationship is indicated by ὡς[/size] ‘as’ in the phrase ‘as free people’?
1. It refers to and expands on what has been said previously.

1.1 It conjoins this clause to ὑποτάγητ[/size]ε[/size] ‘submit’ of 2:13, that is, submit as free people [EGT, ICC, IVP, Sel,TH].

1.2 It refers to ἀγαθοποιοῦντας[/size] ‘doing good’ of 2:15, that is, doing good as free people [Alf, EGT]. It expresses an actual quality that believers have, that is, doing good as the free people you are [Alf].

1.3 It refers to the will of God of 2:15.

1.3.1 It is used to assure the believers that they are able to live in obedience to God’s will as free people [TNTC].

1.3.2 It is used to assure the believers that the will of God is that they be free and that they use their freedom as God’s servants [TNT].

2. It modifies an implied imperative verb within the same sentence.

2.1 It modifies an implied imperative ‘to live’ or ‘to behave’, and functions to introduce a command to live or behave as free people who do not use freedom as a cloak for evil [BNTC, NIC, TG, TH; NAB, NIV,NJB, NRSV, REB, TEV].

2.2 It modifies an implied imperative ‘to be’ and functions to introduce a command to be free people who do not use freedom as a cloak for evil [NTC].

3. It is used to state the actual fact that the believers are free as a grounds for exhortation about how they should live [CEV, NLT].
4. It conjoins this clause with the four imperatives that follow in 2:17, and expresses an actual quality that believers have. That is, do these four things because you are free people and servants of God [WBC].
QUESTION—What does μὴ[/size] ὡς[/size] ‘not as’ refer to?
1. It refers to the cloak, ‘not as a cloak or excuse’ [TNTC; CEV, KJV, NAB, NIV, NJB, NLT, NRSV, TNT].
2. It refers to the participle ἔχοντες[/size] ‘not as having’ [Alf, WBC; REB]
3. It refers to the implied agent of the participle ἔχοντες[/size] ‘not as those having or using freedom’ [iCC, NIC].
QUESTION—What is the function of the present participle ἔχοντες[/size] ‘having’?
1. It qualifies an implied imperative verb regarding how to live or behave as free people [bNTC, NIC; REB]: live this way, but not using your freedom for …
2. It qualifies an implied indicative verb by defining the purpose of freedom [NLT, TNT]: you are free, but your freedom is for the purpose of serving God.
3. It qualifies the four imperatives of the following verse [WBC]: do those four things without misusing freedom like this.
4. It functions imperatively [CEV, NAB, NIV, NJB, NRSV, TEV]: don’t use your freedom this way.
QUESTION—What is the freedom spoken of here?

[...]

Edited by Serpentium

Hi Serpentium, This content look very interesting and may have helped me in Hebrews yesterday. Is this mainly a minute examination of the original language or do these works also contain background and contextual information ?

thx

D

Not so much background. Probably I will go to IVP dictionaries.

Give me the Hebrew scripture, so I can paste here maybe, or private msg you.

Thanx. That's kind of you. I was looking at Heb 8:9 which is the second stanza of a quote from Jeremiah. PM or post here is fine.

Many thanx

D

• 3 years later...

Wow, this request goes all the way back to 2009! If anyone missed yesterday's announcement, the Exegetical Summary Series is now available for Accordance!

• 3 months later...

The SIL Exegetical Summary Series in Accordance now includes the Sermon On The Mount volume. Save 50% this week when adding all 31 volumes to your Accordance Library, or add the SoM volume to your already existing set for $9.90!