Searching Within a Search Result

Timothy Butler

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to use a normal "find" function (like I might do in Word or Safari) to locate a particular text string within a search result? For example, if I look for a very common word in BDAG or BDB, the result for it might be pages and pages long. In the case of BDB, it might be one very long paragraph even. Is there some way to find text within that long paragraph or article like I would do in other apps? That would save me vast amounts of time, I think.

Thanks,

Tim

This is a little different than finding text on a web page, but you can search multiple fields to find text within a particular article. Open the More Options section of the tool, select a second field such as English Content, and then enter the text you want to find in the particular article you searched for in the main entry field.

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to use a normal "find" function (like I might do in Word or Safari) to locate a particular text string within a search result? For example, if I look for a very common word in BDAG or BDB, the result for it might be pages and pages long. In the case of BDB, it might be one very long paragraph even. Is there some way to find text within that long paragraph or article like I would do in other apps? That would save me vast amounts of time, I think.

Thanks,

Tim

The best way for me is to use the more options section of the search box. For example in BDAG or a lexicon, search on the Greek Text and then click o the arrow next to "More options. You will find that you for example could select AND and then English Content and type whatever else you want within your original search. The MK arrow takes you to the next hit.

You could also use "Show" drop down box on the right to limit the results to articles, paragraphs etc.

David beat me too it while I was typing...

Lastly, you could open another workspace and use the Content or Hits commands. If you want to find out how to use these I suggest you download the latest webinar for starters.

Hope this helps.

John Fidel

Archived