Translators

Justin Burt

If there any Bible Translators who using Accordance out there, what resources have you purchased from Accordance to aid you specifically in Translation? I know that SIL puts out a lot of good material for PC's, but I would rather not run VMWare Fusion or BootCamp and let Accordance be my main resource. Any thought would be great!

...SIL puts out a lot of good material for PC's...

Quite alot of their stuff is Mac software, Justin. For many of their packages, you have to seriously get your Geek on to get it running. However, fantastic stuff (though been years since I've done anything with it.)

As for the broader question, capacity to quickly see lexicon entries sure is great.

If you're working in Greek, I would think fully importing the TLG would be a gold mine... how better to definitively work on an inflected form... or more importantly forms in context of a phrase than to be able to look for it in virtually the whole Greek corpus.

What exactly are you asking for in regard in "resources?" Are you talking tools or texts or?

I've been working on a full exegetical translation of Philippians for the last 3 months. I've relied especially on the GNT-T (the tagged NA-27 text), BDAG (Bauer, Danker, and Gingrich lexicon (sp?)), NIDNTT (New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology) and the NIGTC (New International Greek Testament Commentary, which is the most technical commentary on the Greek Text. I've found or have heard of). They're all available for purchase as modules/packages. Typically I'll work out a draft translation as a simple user notes file, but then when I have it more finalized, I make a user bible. I'm not sure how familiar you are with making a user bible, but it's actually pretty straight forward. If you know the basic html tags for italics, bold, line breaks etc (they're all in the Accordance help file), you can get it formatted just about how you'd like. If you want to do footnotes by verse, the best suggestion I can make regarding that is a separate user notes file.

I don't know if this is quite the answer you're looking for, but it's worked pretty well for me to have these. Of course you can't go wrong using more commentaries and lexicons. If you're looking to do OT stuff, I'd recommend having the tagged BHS-W4 but I'm not sure about any tools to go with them.

Quite alot of their stuff is Mac software...

While SIL does have a lot of things for Mac, they do not have anything at this point for Translation.

When working with Tribal Languages, I will need to use special fonts that User Tools do not support. Also, when time to distribute the Bible, it would be a mess to format.

What I am specifically looking for is basically is a substitute for the UBS Bible Handbooks. These deal with scripture differently than a lexicon for commentary would. It takes verses and shows what the have done in several language translations. It then explains how they dealt with those passages. Anyway, if anyone knows what may be a good substitute for this, just let me know.

We hope to release the UBS Bible Handbook soon. Unfortunately we have not been able to arrange to get other SIL materials, not for lack of trying on our part and our SIL users.

We hope to release the UBS Bible Handbook soon.

That is AWESOME!!!

When you say the UBS Bible Handbook, do you mean the individual Translator's Handbooks?

On the subject of the UBS, what about the Translator's NT (Swindon, BFBS 1973) as a text?

That could be a useful tool for translators too.

When you say the UBS Bible Handbook, do you mean the individual Translator's Handbooks?

On the subject of the UBS, what about the Translator's NT (Swindon, BFBS 1973) as a text?

That could be a useful tool for translators too.

To answer your first question, yes. Those are the individual Translator's Handbooks. While there is not a complete set for the OT yet (although almost), the NT is complete.

As to your second question, I have heard it, but have never actually seen it. Is it available in Accordance?

I checked the website but couldn't find it, so I guess that's a no.

• 6 months later...

Archived