Turn Logos Library into Accordance

Dewayne Davis

First I would like to say thank you to Accordance for the great software. I move to Mac, and then to Accordance from Logos on a PC and I understand now why my Mac friends were never impressed with Logos. Accordance is leaps and bounds above the others. That being said, I do understand that for the PC world, Accordance isn't available. I would like to turn my Logos Library into more Accordance resources by making it available for trade for Accordance gift certificates. If you know someone stuck in the PC world, unable to use Accordance, I will donate my Logos library in exchange for Accordance Gift Certificates. Packages include Scholar

Here is a detailed list of what is included. Logos has valued this at about 5600 dollars, of which they want ten percent to transfer. I have about 750 dollars worth of items that I would like to pick up in Accordance. Please make me an offer if you are interested. Thanks.

Scholar's Library: Gold (ND)

The Essential IVP Reference Collection

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition

Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible

Beginning Biblical Hebrew

Biblical Archaeologist Archive

Courson's Application Commentary

Daily Study Bible Series: NT

eBible Deluxe Edition

eBible Standard Edition

Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible

Geisler Electronic Library on Apologetics

Greatest Book Video Series

Greek Grammar: Beyond the Basics

Handbook to the Exegesis of the New Testament

Holman Christian Standard Bible

Israel My Glory

Lucado LifeWorks Library

OT NT Exegesis

Personal Book Builder - Private Use Edition

So That's Why! Bible

The Fundamentals

The Jeremiah LifeWorks Library

The MacArthur LifeWorks Library

The Old Scofield

Dewayne,

Good luck.

You should, and I'm sure you have, post on a Logos forum somewhere in order to sell your Logos stuff.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post there. They promptly deleted my post there after I tried. I am in fact not allowed to post anywhere that they would be "in competition" with them. So this is my only hope for getting rid of it. Thanks.

have you considered posting this on craigslist?

Dewayne,

I can understand that the company wouldn't want you selling products on their own forum that they want to sell. It strikes me a creating bad mojo that's much worse than any lost sales revenue it would mean, but that's their decision.

You're just not likely to get a Logos software buyer on the Accordance forums, is all. In fact, it might be the least likeliest place, hehe.

In addition to Craig's List, I'd suggest using ebay.

What do you mean by, "You will be responsible for Logos fees for transfer." I don't understand what kind of transfer fee you're talking about.

Logos charges a transfer fee of 10 percent of the retail price for their software to be moved from one license to another. They used to not be that way. They changed their EULA in 2007.

Logos charges a transfer fee of 10 percent of the retail price for their software to be moved from one license to another. They used to not be that way. They changed their EULA in 2007.

It didn't occur to me that Logos would claim a license transfer fee for software at that level. The practice for their kind of software is nothing short of dastardly. Enterprise deployments, site licenses or high end professional software often do often have such transfer license fees. BUT, Logos bible software is consumer level software. This Logos EULA is highly inappropriate...

... and one more reason not to buy it.

doesn't accordance have a similar transfer charge?

No, we transfer licenses at no charge, just need to know the previous and new owners' information.

Helen,

Does Accordance by chance have a competitor's trade in? ;) It is a shame that there are not more cross grades available. All I need now in accordance is the WBC, NIGTC, and BAGD. I have all of these in the Logos already, but cross-grades don't exist. :(

So if I understand this correctly,

If I sell my car, the dealer can't demand a cut. He already got his money.

If I sell my computer, Apple can't demand a cut. Uncle Steve already got his money.

If I sell my house, the builder can't demand a cut. He already got his money.

But if I sell my Bible Software Library, the company demands a 10% cut of the RETAIL price, which may work out to be 30-50% of the price I might be able to sell it for.

What if someone wants to give the software away? Do they have to pay the company 10% of retail as well?

I'm going to throw in my (unofficial) opinion a bit too. I've always encouraged the Accordance folks to never go towards a type of activation, license copies, or any sort of consumer-hassling DRM based. Something like this situation is exactly why; you don't actually own or even have control of your own software. You are merely leasing it from the company, hoping you can stay activated. Want to transfer your lease? Better ask the owners and pay whatever they want. What if in the future the company is no more and you want to reinstall their software? You can't activate it, cause you don't actually own it! Sorry, this is a very significant issue to me, and as long as I have any weight, I'm going to make it so the consumers actually own and can use their software as they desire.

David,

You got it right.

The transfer of ownership of any Logos product requires that the 10% or $20 minimum transfer fee be paid for every individually purchased software title or complete package. Not only is it the RETAIL price it is the current RETAIL PRICE FROM LOGOS. Purchases that were downloads from Logos are not transferable in any case. Your numbers are what those us who are trying to "get rid of" Logos software are facing. Tell everyone it's just another reason to purchase Accordance in the first place! And...a painful reality to us switchers.

Now if someone wanted to give our software away, to say a seminary student, I have an email from that other company acknowledging that in that case they would waive the transfer fee.

Are you trying to sell the entire collection at once, or are you interested in breaking it up. -- I use both Accordance and Logos and would be interested in selected items, but not the entire collection -- thanks.

I think there's some confusion about licensing (or leasing) and owning. If you buy a (paper) book, you own that copy, you can write on it, do what you want with it, etc, but you do not own the text of the book, which remains the intellectual property of the author and/or publisher. Digital texts don't depreciate (i.e. become dog-eared) like paper books do. A used or second-hand paper book is worth less than a brand new copy because the wear and tear and underlining or highlighting or margin notes remove value from the product. David's point on selling his car etc is spot-on. Too many strings attached.

Logos (and Oak Tree too) must be juggling the demands of authors, publishers, copyright holders, sales and marketing with those of Bible students, ordinary Believers, seminaries and colleges, while still trying to make a profit. And they probably believe that what they do is a ministry (albeit a for-profit one). You really cannot please all the people all the time.

I would maintain that even Oak Tree has some way still to go, though I heartily applaud the recent trend towards online purchase and immediate downloads of modules. Look at Apple's App Store

Just have to chime in here on the tangent:

I work for a software company and understand the frustrations with licensing. The way things are today, it's a lose-lose situation for the ISV and the Customer in most cases due to the nature of software and the prevalence of piracy. The bible software world is one of the strangest, because the VAST majority of what you're paying for is copyrighted content that has some value add applied and that content has a LONG shelf life (lifetimes in length). That's a tough, unfamiliar market in the software business for both the consumer and the ISV.

The original writer of quickverse (I used to use the DOS version eons ago) has a rather good article regarding why you really should NOT invest too much into bible software; the situation with Logos only highlights it. On the other hand, the track record of accordance, combined with the install and license procedures make it a viable product and a reasonable risk to build a hefty investment in valuable content.

My dealing with Accordance as an ISV have been exemplary. I recommend it to anyone using a mac, show it off at the coffee shops on a regular basis, and know I've "sold" a few copies in the process.

Just have to say a HUGE thank you to all who are behind the scenes at Accordance. You're doing an amazing job!

The original writer of quickverse (I used to use the DOS version eons ago) has a rather good article regarding why you really should NOT invest too much into bible software; the situation with Logos only highlights it. On the other hand, the track record of accordance, combined with the install and license procedures make it a viable product and a reasonable risk to build a hefty investment in valuable content.

Mike,

I would love to be able to read the article you refer to above. I might not agree with it, but I imagine it would make an interesting, and challenging, read. Would you happen to know where it can be found?

Mike,

I would love to be able to read the article you refer to above. I might not agree with it, but I imagine it would make an interesting, and challenging, read. Would you happen to know where it can be found?

While probably not the article he is referencing, here's another article by the same fellow that touches on a few pertinent points:

http://www.ccmag2.com/2007_11/2007_11specialfeature2.pdf

Archived