UBS Translator's Handbook - NT value for a "non-translator"?

mscargill

I have reviewed the limited discussion in these forums about the UBS Translator's Handbook series and don't seem to have seen any discussion about the value of the series for someone like me who already has the AYC, Word Biblical and Hermeneia commentaries but is tempted by the "very soon to expire" Accordance UBS Handbook offer. I would not need the UBS series to assist me in any of my own translating as I have only the most rudimentary knowledge of NTG!

However, I am aware that, not only is knowing how best the text might be translated very useful to understanding English translations of the text itself (and reading other commentaries on it), but that the UBS also apparently operates as a verse by verse commentary, offering more than a purely morphological resource and aid.

Before I let the offer pass, I would welcome hearing from anyone with experience of using the UBS series primarily as a commentary and whether they think it significantly adds to the textual commentary and help likely to be available from the other major commentaries (such as I have mentioned).

Many thanks.

Michael

My top resource are:

• NAC
  • Hermeneia
  • SIL (not all the bible)
  • UBS
  • Holman
  • Boice (not all the bible)
  • EBC
  • JPS (just few books of the bible)
  • Utley

So if I were you, I'd buy it. It is a good commentary, a very well made verse-by-verse exegetical expositional commentary. And it includes a lot of things you can find in IVP or NIDOTTE or NIDNTT inbuilt in the commentary.

• Like 1