PDF to User Tool

JoshPannell

Could we have an option where I can import either a word DOC or a PDF into a user tool? This would be extremely helpful.

• Like 2

You can save a word document as HTML which can then be imported (which you may well know anyway but thought I would mention it). If you do that it is best to use the Windows version of Word if you have access to it because it gives a much cleaner import.

PDFs are notoriously difficult to manipulate because of the format and I expect it would be a big undertaking to do such a thing - at least to produce something that gave good results. Often PDFs have information that you don't want in your user tool anyway (e.g. page numbers, page headings etc) which you would need to get rid of yourself. There are programs that convert PDFs to Word but I do not know how good they are. In the past I've tried to look for a few free ones but they have not really worked. Others may know of some conversion programs that are worthwhile.

With Acrobat Pro you can crop pages to exclude headers, footers, page numbers, etc.

Then you can do the export/copy and paste.

It doesn't work in the plain Adobe Reader.

This is the one missing feature that caused me to begin using the competitor (Logos) much more than Accordance.

I do a lot of Puritan studies and it is easy to find free etexts of many Puritan works. With the competitor to Accordance, it is a very simple and quick process to create books within the program that are utilized in a manner like any other module (even the official ones).

The Accordance User Tool feature has seen little functional improvement in several years despite requests for change. I have found it often difficult to use and not efficient. I realize there are other priorities for the Accordance team, they have a small staff and the User Tool was not originally meant to be used for large works.

I thought I would never write these words: Unfortunately, my studies are increasingly requiring features the competitor offers.

• Like 1

This is also one things that makes me want to switch to Logos.

Most but not all. If it is a chapter only, such as Jeremiah 31, then it will not tag that or it didn't last time I used it. It also will not tag Roman numeral chapter numbers. Certain books have particualr rules about tagging: those with numbers and Philippians and Philemon, etc.