My Accordance Wishlist

Peter D.

Here are some things I would love to see in Accordance... maybe there are already solutions that I just don't know about yet, but here goes:

Highlighting - I would love the ability to highlight my Accordance Bibles just like a pdf. Is there a way to add 1) custom colors 2) more choices such as dotted underline, etc 3) highlight portions of words (such as prefixes or roots rather than only an entire word) 4) highlight several words at once (whatever is marked) 5) add an optional side bar for annotations much like apps such as iAnnotate. At the moment I have the urge (just the urge - haven't done it) to export the text to a pdf program just to be able to do easily mark up a Biblical passage.

On the iPad - multiple tabs would be amazing! Apps such as web browsers and the already mentioned iAnnotate among others have different but effective ways of allowing multiple items to be open side by side. Also I find the pop up interface to add a user note for a verse a workable solution but not intuitive. Would it be possible to allow users to type their notes directly into the "user note" split screen window?

Thanks for an amazing product already but would love to see some of these items in the future.

Yes, on the Highlight features. Check the Help files under Digging Deeper/Highlighting.

It includes custom styles, like colors and various dotted underlines, etc. You can highlight an entire verse (which will then show in any translation), or you can highlight words or a series of words (which are unique to that module).

You can then also search only verses highlighted with certain styles.

As for annotations, this is the User Notes function. check that out in the Help files. You can attach text to verses, and they can scroll along with your text.

Thanks Joe,

I went digging deeper and found what you were talking about. That is very helpful. Are my custom highlighting options available on the iPad though after I have installed them on the Mac? I prefer to do my highlighting on the iPad - listening to a sermon or waiting for an appointment. And are the highlights going to sync between the two even if they are custom highlights?

On the user notes: I understand how it works, but is there an easier workflow to add notes on the iPad - without an extra pop-up window (long click on verse, short click on user note, type, short click on "done"). Could we instead just type in the side panel (split screen) itself and save all the extra clicks?

On the iPad - multiple tabs would be amazing! Apps such as web browsers and the already mentioned iAnnotate among others have different but effective ways of allowing multiple items to be open side by side. Also I find the pop up interface to add a user note for a verse a workable solution but not intuitive. Would it be possible to allow users to type their notes directly into the "user note" split screen window?

Both of these ideas are excellent ones. An iAccord with multiple tabs (as in iAnnotate) would be dreamy. I have no idea how you would do it, or if it's even possible, but, wow, would that be awesome.

Now all we need is Santa to join our team as a programmer! ;)

Thanks Joe,

I went digging deeper and found what you were talking about. That is very helpful. Are my custom highlighting options available on the iPad though after I have installed them on the Mac? I prefer to do my highlighting on the iPad - listening to a sermon or waiting for an appointment. And are the highlights going to sync between the two even if they are custom highlights?

On the user notes: I understand how it works, but is there an easier workflow to add notes on the iPad - without an extra pop-up window (long click on verse, short click on user note, type, short click on "done"). Could we instead just type in the side panel (split screen) itself and save all the extra clicks?

Yes, custom highlights will sync between desktop and iOS, but not highlight symbols.

You cannot type in the split screen for Notes because the Notes are ported from Desktop which function much the same; you have to type in a new window, which when saved 'updates' the main notes text view. Keep in mind that the core functionality of the iOS app is a direct port from the Desktop app.

I got my wish when the BDAG/HALOT sale was announced today. Now I am praying for the funds. :) Too bad I can't sign or play an instrument so I can stand on a corner and raise the funds. lol

Edited by davidmedina

• 6 months later...

I've hesitated talking about this for a long time, knowing how busy the Accordance guys are and how trivial this request is... but since Peter brought up highlighting like you can in a PDF and different styles, I thought I would after all.

I would really love the traditional block highlighting style to be 'updated' to look like the highlighting they now how in Mac's PDF reader Preview and other document editors... instead of having just square edges and a sort of monotone colour it actually looks like a real highlighter mark on the pages with really vibrant colours (see below).

post-31126-0-66698300-1403045089_thumb.jpg

post-31126-0-36643100-1403045212_thumb.jpg

So if that's not to hard to change/add, I'd love to see it for those of those that are are visual, I think it would be a nice addition.

Thanks for all you do!

Edited by D. C. Foster
  • Like 1