User interface improvements

Guntis

Here's my idea about UI improvement, about which I wrote here in point No. 4:

1) Let's swap Library and Split window icons, because Library icon opens all kinds or resources and they open in full screen or top screen, therefore icon should be in the top toolbar. Split window icon opens split screen in the bottom part of the screen, so it belongs to the bottom toolbar.

2) Current Go To button looks more like Exit button. Doors and arrow pointing to the doors to exit. I suggest to use catalog search icon with the finger on entries. Or you could use half-open book icon, similar to the one currently in the top left corner.

3) In the top left corner replace book icon with the Discard Search icon, which looks more appropriate for what it's supposed to do. Book icon gives idea of opening some book, which it does not do.

4) Split window adjustment handle could use less vertical screen real estate, thus leaving more space to the text itself. Here I colored semitransparent area which could be touch-sensitive zone for split window adjustment (not visible in application UI). And I still think that at least on iPhone it makes sense to show split window handle at the bottom of the screen at all times, because screen is small and often I want to minimize split window to increase text area for reading, and when I find something interesting, I want to open and read commentary again. So the handle at the bottom of the screen would be really appreciated. When you need, just tap on the split window handle and split window slides up to the previous position, or pull it up as high as you need and continue reading commentary. When you don't need it, tap on the handle to push it down, or pull it down manually, and you have the whole screen for the Bible text again. No need to press Split window button and again choose commentary, then readjust split screen proportions. And of course, then we could talk about some gesture to quickly change resources in both split screens… like two-finger gesture left or right to switch to another resource which maybe could be set in application preferences. For example 4-6 Bibles for the top screen and 6-10 resources for the bottom part of the screen (commentaries, user notes, etc.).

post-634-098068000 1313064188_thumb.jpg

Most of these are good suggestions and worth considering, Scott. I'm not so sure about the icon that Guntis shows in the lower right with the pointing finger--that's not at all intuitive to me as to what it would do, but the others have merit for an iPhone. Now an iPad would have other options when you get to the point where you can justify additional features and a somewhat different interface for the two devices.

3) In the top left corner replace book icon with the Discard Search icon, which looks more appropriate for what it's supposed to do. Book icon gives idea of opening some book, which it does not do.

There are certainly ways to optimize the interface (the split window divider does use too much space on the iphone), but I disagree with this suggestion. The current icons suggest reading or searching, which make more sense to me than the "discard search" icon.

Jonathan

There are certainly ways to optimize the interface (the split window divider does use too much space on the iphone), but I disagree with this suggestion. The current icons suggest reading or searching, which make more sense to me than the "discard search" icon.

Jonathan

We are currently trying to figure out the best way to also incorporate a search history list into this interface. My hope is that the ability to discard the current search will be combined into this history interface. One idea is to overload the "Search" toolbar icon in the following manner:

Tap - Bring up the search interface as it does now

Press (or Long Tap) - Bring up a search history list with an option to discard the current search which would have the same result as tapping the Book toolbar icon does now.

That way we could get rid of the book toolbar icon altogether. Opinions?

Scott.

We are currently trying to figure out the best way to also incorporate a search history list into this interface. My hope is that the ability to discard the current search will be combined into this history interface. One idea is to overload the "Search" toolbar icon in the following manner:

Tap - Bring up the search interface as it does now

Press (or Long Tap) - Bring up a search history list with an option to discard the current search which would have the same result as tapping the Book toolbar icon does now.

That way we could get rid of the book toolbar icon altogether. Opinions?

Scott.

Yes, that sounds OK! Tapping-and-holding Search icon could open Search history list with the Close search mode as the first option.

And Up and Down arrows in the bottom toolbar could navigate to the previous or next search hit (also in no context or few verses context mode, it would be really helpful in 3-9 verses context mode!)

By the way, maybe you could simplify Search screen by always showing Commands, Tags and Options buttons? And add consistency to Bible translation button — in the main window it's not a button, but just a title with the downwards pointing triangle to show that it's a menu. Perhaps the same approach could be used also in Search dialog? Words or Verses could be radio buttons, Less button goes away as unnecessary, Commands and Tags can take its place. All in 1 toolbar.

Archived