"Lock" Verses when searching an Open Pane

Darren Larson

Maybe it's just me, but there are times when I don't want the text to scroll together. For instance, when I have the WBC open as a pane and I want to read the commentary below, but I want to keep the verses locked on the passage I am preaching that week instead of continued scrolling with the commentary. Or the other way around is even more applicable. Say I'm reading the text and I scroll down or up and then the WBC suddenly jumps to the next verse with automatic scrolling and I've lost where I'm at in the commentary. I can't set a bookmark in the open pane view so I find that I have to scroll all over again to find where I was reading before. This is tough because the WBC is a fantastic resource with lots of writing so it takes time to find where I was at.

All this said, is there a way to lock a resource in the pane view so that it wont automatically scroll? Most of the time I want it to tie scrolling, but sometimes as I mentioned above, I don't. Anyone with ideas?

Darren,

Just hold down the control key while scrolling to break the synchronized scrolling. If you scroll some more without holding the control key, the panes will sync again.

This doesn't seem to work with a MacBook Pro trackpad. It doesn't scroll at all when you hold the ctrl key down and do the two finger scroll. Just FYI.

Darren,

Just hold down the control key while scrolling to break the synchronized scrolling. If you scroll some more without holding the control key, the panes will sync again.

Levi, that's because holding the control key while dragging with two fingers will zoom in and out on your screen (try dragging your two fingers up and you'll see what I mean). You can change the control key to another modifier in the System Preferences, and then the selected pane will scroll when you hold the control and drag with two fingers. Unfortunately, Accordance doesn't break the synchronization in that instance (the panes scroll together, even though the control key is down). That's something we'll need to fix. The control key does work, however, when you use the scroll bar.

I prefer reading WBC in its own window. It really is no massive and complicated, and the browser helps you see where you are in the text.

This doesn't seem to work with a MacBook Pro trackpad. It doesn't scroll at all when you hold the ctrl key down and do the two finger scroll. Just FYI.

This zooming behavior was first implemented under OS X "Tiger" 10.4.8.

Another suggestion for simultaneous viewing of a tool that optionally scrolls in sync with a text is to open the tool in its own window and juxtapose the text and tool for easy reference. Here's how:

If you're using a tabbed Workspace, open the tool in a new tab, then choose Window menu > Detach Tab (opt-cmd-t). Then either choose Window menu > Arrange > Tile Windows (cmd-i) or manually arrange and resize the resulting workspace and tool windows. In this arrangement, the tool window scrolls completely independently.

post-72-1221283313_thumb.png

However, when you do want this tool to scroll in sync, with either the text or tool window active (i.e., its title bar is not grayed out), choose the Window menu > Set > Tie to "[name of corresponding tab/window]" entry (a set of brown parallel and vertical double-headed arrows with a blue arrow pointing to the right will appear in the upper right corner of both the text and tool windows to indicate this state). You can also "untie" the windows (same menu) to stop the synchronized scrolling.

post-72-1221283321_thumb.png

I often use this technique of "liberating" tabs with lexicons, so that I can do triple-click lookups and then scroll around the lexicon while still having my text visible, reducing the danger of runaway trains of thought (otherwise, triple-clicking within a workspace will create/activate another tab, effectively hiding the text on which I was working).

post-72-1221283399_thumb.png

Since lexicons are not reference tools, there is no synchronized scrolling issue or option.

Archived