INSNWS: Module incomplete? Updates?

theblackbluejay

I am doing some work on the Tel Dan inscription, and am currently doing a literature review. I am currently reading through one of the early articles on the inscription, and one of the footnotes references an inscription in KAI. Of course, I turn to my trusty Accordance module (which I love!), to look up the reference, and was surprised to find that the inscription referenced (KAI 224) is not there. Surprisingly, I only just now realized that there are a number of inscriptions in KAI that are not present in the Accordance module.

Is there a reason for this? There are many gaps in the numbers listing, some large, some small. Are there any plans to update the module with the missing inscriptions? I know I would use the module even more if I knew that it contained the entire KAI collection.

Help please : )

Thanks!

A major revision of the Inscriptions modules is underway. For now, please check the notes on these modules in the Read Me-Modules which you will find in your English tools, or the individual Read Mes which you should find in Help>Documentation.

• Like 1

To be clear, the update to the NWS inscriptions will depart from KAI, which is getting very dated, and present newer scholarship and (in my opinion) better readings.

The coverage of texts will be nearly exhaustive for Phoenician, Punic, Moabite, Ammonite (it already is for Hebrew, though when the dust settles on some of the newly found "texts" I will add those) and syntax will be tagged for each text. The Aramaic corpus will be larger, but the precise scope is yet undetermined.

This is a large undertaking, though, and will take me a few years, so please be patient.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm curious about any further updates since this last post. I would love a more comprehensive module, and the exhaustive texts Robert mentioned sound wonderful.

It's been a huge project, with some significant starts and stops. If I'm lucky, it will be next summer. Whatever it will be in the end, it will be significantly more than currently exists.

• Like 1