library synced with another computer

Ken Han

How does Accordance determine if my iOS devices are synced with another computer? I ask because as of last week I was syncing both my iPhone and iPad with my MacBook Air, and yesterday they both started to throw up messages saying they are synced to another computer. As far as I know the only change I've made to the computer since last week is

scutil --set LocalHostName

because of some network issues I was experiencing. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I mention it since that is the only change I've made to the computer.

I've seen this message before, following a purchase of a new computer, after a fresh install of OS X, etc. I think maybe there ought to be a better way to tie Accordance on OS X and iOS so that it does not require erasing and syncing everything all over again, if only never to see the message again.

Thanks.

Ken

The local name of the Mac is part of the information used to determine whether or not an iOS device has previously synced to a particular desktop installation. So changing the local host name would certainly trigger this issue.

We're always open to suggestion on how we tie an iOS device to a particular desktop installation.

Edited by Scott Knapp

Thanks Scott.

May I suggest that you tie iOS to the desktop simply via Accordance id that we use to purchase / download modules? I think that may be more flexible and still ensure that only authorized users can sync the modules.

As an alternative, when changing computers using the erase and reinstall option, perhaps books that are common to the mobile devise and the new computer would not be erased and reinstalled unless the version of the resource was different. However, if there is a resource on the mobile devise, not on the computer it would be erased. This only allows the resources on the new computer to sync without the time and effort of erasing the files that are common. If a user bought or renamed a computer and the library was not different, the mobile devise would allow for the change but would recognize the books are the same and not erase and reinstall resources.