Hebrew search with commands

Kevin Sigafoos

I tried to search for עחק <AND> [VERB] to search for all of the verbs "to laugh" without getting the proper name Issac (unnecessary I now know) and the right to left gets all jumbled.

Editing or typing Hebrew words and commands can get jumbled because of the switching between right-to-left Hebrew and left-to-right commands. The best way to avoid this is to enter the AND command and VERB tag from the Search menu.

That said, I think you really want to use the at symbol (@) rather than the AND command. Using the AND command, you're looking for any instance of the Hebrew lemma (whether verb or not) in the same verse with any other verb. Placing the @ between the lemma and tag indicates that you are looking for that lemma only when it is tagged as a verb.

Hope this helps.

Kevin,

I don't think David realized that you posted in the iOS section, although his advice remains sound with regards to running your specific search.

The general issue of mixing LTR and RTL text in the search entry field of the iOS app can be challenging. There are known problems and limitations when inserting tags or commands (which are LTR text) into the field when it is setup for RTL text entry which would be the case when the Hebrew keyboard is being used. I can offer a couple of strategies that may help.

If you know in advance that you may be entering more than one tag or command string, then I would recommend you enter them first, before typing any RTL text. For your example search, I would enter the [VERB] and <ANY> strings via the tag and command lists as shown below.

post-18683-0-14445100-1344102828_thumb.png

Then you can start typing the specific RTL text you want to search for.

post-18683-0-29610600-1344102827_thumb.png

If you only need to use a single tag or command entry then you should enter the RTL text first and then use the command or tag lists views.

post-18683-0-60313800-1344102829_thumb.png

post-18683-0-84370900-1344102828_thumb.png

Hope this helps,

Scott.