links in user notes

A. Smith

I am writing notes on the GNT. When I make a link to a NT text, everything is fine. When I make a note to the OT, I get the error msg about different corpus, etc (you know what it is) and it tells me to change the 'text order pop up menu in the desired text'. I have no idea how to access that menu. Thanks

OK, here's what happens. If I open the note in a pane in the 'text' window (by clicking 'compare text'), everythign is fine. But, If I open the note in my GNT search text, I get the error and no display in the ID box for OT quotes. I hope this makes it clearer. I want to be able to see my OT citations from the GNT search window, where I do all of my work.

Open a Text window (via a link or from the Search window by clicking the Context button). There areb three controls across the top of the window: Show All Text, Compare Texts, and Text Order. The Text Order pop-up menu is the one you can use to select a different text, the one from which the verses displayed are derived. You can have different texts in the panes, but just changing the text in the panes does not allow OT verses to be shown. It may be best to have an English Bible there so it has all the verses, and then display the Hebrew and Greek text in the panes below as desired.

Open a Text window (via a link or from the Search window by clicking the Context button). There areb three controls across the top of the window: Show All Text, Compare Texts, and Text Order. The Text Order pop-up menu is the one you can use to select a different text, the one from which the verses displayed are derived. You can have different texts in the panes, but just changing the text in the panes does not allow OT verses to be shown. It may be best to have an English Bible there so it has all the verses, and then display the Hebrew and Greek text in the panes below as desired.

Something is not working. I have done what you say (actually, I had already done that). I set the text order to NET and it works so long as I keep that window open and read my notes from a pane in that window. However, if I read/edit my notes from the GNT search window (where I always work), the links don't work. This is the case even if the text window is open and the text order is set to NET.

What I want to do is keep the text displayed from my links in the NET (as per the text option menu) and read my notes from the search tab. Otherwise, the link feature of user notes is totally pointless for me, since I never work from the text window (who does?). Is it possible to do this? I've attached some pictures to show what I'm doing.

post-29320-127308935256_thumb.png

post-29320-12730893736_thumb.png

The screenshots are helpful. You are correct that the Instant Details do not work when moving over a reference in the notes, in this particular circumstance: the notes are open in the pane of a search window and the reference is from a different corpus than the search text. The Instant Details are taking their text from the search text in that window.

What I intended is that you click on the reference to see it in a text window. You don't need to repeat all the panes in the text window, and you can detach the tab and arrange it as a small independent window beside the search window. Then it will update whenever you click on a reference.

A final resolution of this issue must await a future upgrade with the option of a user reference tool, where you will be able to set two hypertext texts as you can now in all tools. User notes simply do not have support for this option.

Archived