Accordance Unable to keep up with typing

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I am editing a (small) User Tool today, and Accordance is unable to keep up with my typing. About three to four words into a sentence, the letters begin appearing very sluggishly, far behind my actual typing.

I'm working on an iBook G4 (1.42 GHz) running Tiger (10.4.11) with 1.5 GB RAM, 6.9 GB free on the hard drive.

I am currently running the following additional programs. All are "dormant" in the background unless otherwise noted:

• Mail (checks for new mail once an hour)
    Firefox
    iCal
    iTunes (playing Christmas music from the Shard folder)
    Activity Monitor

Aside from iTunes playing music, this is a lower than typical load for me. I shut down several apps (NeoOffice, Address Book, etc.) when the slow down began, but it did not make any measurable difference. Quitting iTunes may help a little bit, but the slowdown still occurs.

Activity Monitor shows that CPU usage goes through the roof when I'm typing in Accordance. A quick switch to AM when this happens shows only kernel_task, AM, and Accordance using any significant % of CPU.

This behavior began after the most recent Accordance upgrade (7.4.2).

NeoOffice used to do this as a result of some bugs. If it's helpful to you I can go digging in the Neo forums and see what I can find about what was causing it for Neo.

Let me know if I can provide any other information.

Lorinda

I have the same problem too. It is very slow when I type.

Kit

Please try setting the "Block size" in User Notes Preferences to small. This allows faster editing but requires updating more often. Let us know if this helps.

Version 7.4 has many behind the scenes changes which are all part of the preparation for the Universal (Intel native) version due out next year. This is why you may all see some changes in function even in features which were not themselves altered for 7.4. We appreciate reports of any changes like these, especially of problems or slow-downs in specific areas.

Thanks for the response, Helen.

The "Block Size" setting is actually in the "Edit Windows" preference pane. ;)

I didn't think to check it before reporting above, but I just did and it is already set to "Small(faster editing)."

Lorinda

Does it happen with any User Tool file or just an old large one? Our programmers will have to look at this, but the more information you can supply, the better.

I was only working with one user tool that day, so I'm not sure if it's all of them or not. I'll do some testing with some other User Tools and get back to you.

According to the Finder, the file I was working with is 112 KB in size and was created on 6/15/06.

I'm reasonably certain that the current file must be a copy of an older file dating back to the fall of 2004. I say that because it contains sermon study notes for Year A in the Revised Common Lectionary. Until I started adding notes for Sundays in Advent this year, the first entry was for Proper 23, for a Sunday in October. That last year A was December 2003- November 2004.

Through November I was working on a my Year C User tool which is larger (716 KB) and was created more recently (1/4/07). I did not see this kind of slow-down with it. (At least not as frequently). I'll include it in my tests today.

If it is of help, I can send you the Year A file (the 112 KB one).

Lorinda

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I did some quick testing of three other user tools. The lag occurs in all of them, although it is much less noticeable in some than in others, and none of them seem quite as far behind as I remember the Year A notes file being. I cannot establish a pattern of old vs. new or small vs. large in terms of what lags the most. If I am able to do so, I'll let you know.

Lorinda

• 4 years later...

I am sure much has changed since this thread was started back in Dec 07. I have just had this same problem for the first time. I found this thread through searching the forum and thought that I should just add on to it.

I have a User Tool that is around 1365 paragraphs. The Tool is comprised mostly of verse lists so the vast majority of the paragraphs are rather small. I was editing the intro today and experienced this problem. I can type about 7 words before the first is finished displaying on the screen.

After experimenting I found that this problem manifests itself when I am about 300 paragraphs from the end of the Tool.

Is there a way to limit what is opened by the edit window?

If we could open only the title paragraph I believe that this would not occur. I realize that the edit window is not a full on word processor, and that I am asking it to do a lot. I have not noticed this behavior before the last update.

I also have another issue. I am not sure if it is related or not. Only in the User Tool edit window I have an extremely limited choice of fonts. In the User Notes edit window I have all the fonts on my computer. I will try to leave pictures to show what I mean.

Thanks

Pics removed until I can figure out how to post them. Sorry

Edited by Getinthebible

Here are some screen shots made possible by Julie's great instructions.

post-29881-0-01909400-1351815700_thumb.png

post-29881-0-95780600-1351815716_thumb.png

post-29881-0-39320700-1351815898_thumb.png

post-29881-0-08877200-1351815899_thumb.png

Edited by Getinthebible

You may be able to solve the sluggish response in the edit window problem by adjusting a preference setting. Open the Preferences window by selecting Accordance: Preferences from the menu. From the list on the left of the Preference window, select Edit Windows. Under the User Tool Edit section, adjust the Block setting to Small (faster editing).

Does this solve your problem?

Edited by Sean R.

If anyone else has this same problem I found a work around. Just write your text in a word processor and then copy paste into the User Tool. This may not be a permanent solution but it will work until a better one is found.

Thanks

This is a bit off topic, but there is an easier way to take a screen shot and post here.

To take a shot of the entire screen use shift-cmd-3. To take a shot of a selected portion of the screen use shift-cmd-4. The screen shots will appear on your desktop.

You can post them by first selecting the "More Reply Options" at the lower left of the "Reply" box, "Choose File", then "Attach This File." That way those reading the posts can see your shot without having to go to another window in their browser. You can also insert the pictures between lines of text with the options available after the shot has been selected and attached.

This greatly streamlines the process for the poster and the reader.

Julie,

Thank you so much for helping me with those instructions. I could not figure it out. I have fixed the post.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for helping me with my first question.

Does anyone have any insight on my second question in post #8-9?

Regarding limited font choice in user tool edit window.\

Thanks

The reason for the limited font choice is that for a User Tool, you are basically picking the language, not the font. Since it is similar to our Tools, you can customize its display via Command-T or Display -> Set Tool Display, and choose your font, size, color, etc. there. The user notes don't have any display customization options, so you have to define all the styles when creating the note. Hope this makes sense!

Joel,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not understand that. I was indeed trying to edit the aperance of the user tool through the edit window, while I was entering new information. I will use command-t and see how that works. I appreciate the quick response.