Create list of Words used fewer than 50 times in whole Bible and more than 5 times in a book

marcato15

I'm trying to recreate Kubo's Special Vocabulary list, which lists all the words used less 50 times in the whole Bible but more than 5 times in the book. I tried 2 word searches in every verse, the first was [COUNT 5-50] <AND> [RANGE matt] with the range set to New Testament in one window (5347 words), and the second was [count 5-50] with range set to Matthew in the second window (2948 words). Then in the the third window I did *@[HITS GNT-T] <AND> *@[HITS GNT-T 2] , but this resulted in 11181 words.

I thought AND would mean only words that occur in both lists, but it seems to be doing something else. What am I missing and is there any easier way to accomplish this task?

Try [HITS GNT-T]@[HITS GNT-T 2].

Hi David, thanks for the suggestion.

Could you explain the logic of why the <AND> command didn't work, and why the @ tag did?

Ta!

Its the fundamental difference between and @. requires that the two elements are both present within the current search context, that often defaults to 'Verse'. @ requires that the two elements are both present within the hit word. So, marcato's first search was finding verses that had both words from tab 1 and words from tab 2 in them, rather than finding all words that matched both tabs.

I knew a trombonist would have the answer!

Good times in SF Joel.

Is there a reason search details aren't available for a search that utilizes the Hits command? For the search being discussed here, search analysis is necessary for the search to be easily usable (i.e., seeing a list of the words that match the search criteria).

I did the search more simply, with this in the second tab:

[COUNT 5-50] @ [HITS GNT-T]

I found 21533 hits.

You must set the Range in the pop-up menu to get an accurate count.

The details work just fine, as they do in most searches except those comparing CONTENTS of two tabs.

Thanks Helen. That is more simple. Joel did a good job in help explaining the difference between @ and <AND>. Is there any resource explaining this stuff? I tried looking, but couldn't find anything.

Our award winning Help files! You can search them or go to the sections Biblical Research and Analyses > Search Criteria, and Biblical Research and Analyses > Work with Grammatically Tagged Text.