Notes

rcdeacon

I am doing some work in Psalm 119 verses 161-168. I have a note file entitled "Bob's Notes" and in this file I have placed a note for verses 163-165. I began by using the clicking "command U" and then selecting the note file (Bob's Notes). I modified the verse reference to read "Psalm 119:163-165" which is in blue italics. When I hover over the reference in the note file Psalm 119:163-165 appears normally.

NOW I have discovered that I would like to enter a note JUST for Psalm 119:163 but I cannot since it defaults to the previous note. Is there a way to enter ANOTHER note for just Psalm 119:163 and if so, how?

I did try to enter this note PRECEEDING the note for verses 163-165 and even used the blue italic font but it will not link and it will not appear separately.

If this is NOT possible could this be added as a request for a future update to Accordance?

Bob - I've done this. Just copy and paste the "Psa. 119:161-168" below your existing note (so that you get the same font, size, and color), then substitute "163" for the range. That will give you a separate note. If you hover at verse 163, you will get just the note you composed for that verse. Please post back if you have problems or if I didn't make any sense.

Thank you Julie, that worked. I appreciate the help.

You're welcome. We should not all have to learn everything the hard way. I've appreciated all the help I've received on these forums, and am glad to help when I can. If I'm stumped, I just follow a topic and learn when someone else's question is answered.

Edited by Julie Falling

I find this topic very interesting, and I am trying to wrap my head around the concept. So, there is a way to format my user note file (which is massive, since I have been using Accordance for many years) to include a range of verses and single verses? For example, I am preaching on James 2:1-17 this Sunday. Is it possible to have a user note on James 2:1-17 to cover overall themes, concepts, background, etc., and then have notes on each verse: James 2:1, James 2:2, James 2:3, etc. Before, I would put all the overall information in the very first note (James 2:1). I do the same thing with a book. I will put all the information regarding an entire book in the first verse, i.e. James 1:1. It would be much more effective and efficient to have a way to enter notes for a range of verses and then enter notes for individual verses. If this is possible, is it so complicated that my old method would be more efficient? Sorry for the long entry, but I have struggled with this for years.

Blessings,

I primarily have two note files. One note file is entitled "sermon notes". In that file I put notes for multiple verses which include in some cases the outline of my message or some other significant thought or idea I want to present. Then I have a note file entitled "Bob's notes" which includes notes on the individual verses. When I click on the red dot or triangle (depending of whether there are multiple notes) both notes are displayed in the "text" zone. I have mentioned in the past that it would be great if you could attach notes to individual words or phrases. That has yet to be implemented (and not sure that it will). I hope this was helpful.

Thanks Bob! I can understand how your system would work. I suppose I am somewhat of a minimalist and like the idea of all notes being in the same file, sort of like one big study Bible that I can copy or print out and give to my children. I have went the multiple file approach (even if it is just two) and, for whatever reason, one file soon gets neglected. My user note file for example is one I have used again and again, which is the reason for my question.

Hey, guys - I don't preach, but I do make a lot of notes so that I don't have to keep re-researching and relearning. The only glitch in the way I have been doing this (as explained above) is that when I have a note on a range (yesterday I added one at Mt 25:1-13) and already have a note at Mt 25:1, hovering over the dot gives me the note for the range (which I put in front) followed by the note for Mt 25:1 in the same ID window. However, since I usually keep my notes file open with every text, it hasn't presented any real problems. If I have a note at Mt 25:2, it does not show up unless I hover over the dot at that verse, just as we would expect. The range note shows up only when hovering over the first verse of the range. I've basically tried to mimic a study Bible or commentary format.

Edited by Julie Falling