Yosemite Install Experience

Julia Falling

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the excellent 24" UP2414Q Dell ...

I've been using this monitor for a few days with an Macbook Pro 13 Retina late 2012 and it was a great experience with Mavericks. Just upgraded to Yosemite and all the fine HiDPI resolution vanished. What a frustration. Didn't find any hint how to fix. Will downgrade for now.

Had been working for 2 years with the builtin display only because I couldn't suffer the low resolution of my old 1920 x 1080 LCD display.

Does anyone have another idea?

Edited by ulipde

Do I remember correctly that an iMac can be used strictly as a monitor? $2499 for 5K monitor is cheaper than the 4K Sharp monitor that Apple sells in their store.

Yeah, it's correct and unfortunate that the iMac 5K can't be used strictly as a monitor. Dr. J's suggestion would have been great if it could!

Yes, it is.

BTW, i just priced a maxed out iMac on the Apple store. Would you believe $4500?

I'm debating on whether my next desktop Mac should be iMac 5K or Mac Pro. Neither are cheap (and I'm not buying either now). I will be getting into weekly HD video editing in Final Cut down the road, so that's the one thing leaning me toward Mac Pro (that and I have a 27" monitor sitting on my desk).

• 3 weeks later...

Do I remember correctly that an iMac can be used strictly as a monitor? $2499 for 5K monitor is cheaper than the 4K Sharp monitor that Apple sells in their store.

Unfortunately, Apple techs said the iMac cannot be used as an external monitor...I think it's due to it pushing more pixels than the interface allows so they overclocked the interface or did something unique.

I just got an early Christmas present – a Dell U2713HM. Beautiful screen. 2560 x 1440 resolution – the max my Air will support. Built in USB-3 hub (1 upstream, 4 downstream). It's connected to my 13" MacBook Air. Only one problem, and easily fixed once you figure it out.

When we first got it set up, all peripherals were recognized – the Time Machine disk, iPhone or iPad, ethernet. But then it seems that all the ports went dead. Not even a thumb drive was seen. Searched the web. The only hint I found had to do with power. My husband suggested plugging a powered USB hub into the Air, and the display-to-Mac USB cable into the powered hub. That solved the problem. (Unfortunately, the solution was discovered a little late. I'm using a replacement monitor sent by Amazon. We had concluded that the first was defective. It probably wasn't, but the model could use more power to those ports.)

To get the maximum resolution, the display port connection must be used – the cable was cheap off Amazon ($9.99). Neither HDMI nor VGA will yield the maximum 2560 x 1440.