JPS Torah Commentary: Three Questions for You Who Own It

Abram K-J

Hi, everyone--

The JPS Torah Commentary is on sale this week from Accordance (and a nice sale it is, too). I have three questions for those of you who own it in Accordance, if anyone can take a minute to tackle this:

1. I own Genesis in print. I think it's one of the best commentaries I've ever read... on any book of the Bible. How do the rest of the five commentaries compare in quality and insight?

2. How's the accuracy/quality of the Accordance text compared to print? Those of you who use it: is this a module you find yourself making frequent corrections reports on? (WBC would fall into that category for me, though it's inevitable in a resource that large.) Just curious how clean/accurate Accordance's electronic text is.

3. If you use it in Accordance how do you find the layout? There was a thread here about "missing pages" in the Torah Modern Commentary, though I think it really came down to a layout decision by Accordance. And I have to say, I really like the TMC layout in Accordance.

Thanks in advance to any users who can weigh in....

1)IMHO, the JPS Torah Commentary is superb. With scholars like Nahum Sarna (Genesis and Exodus) Baruch Levine (Leviticus)Jacob Milgrom (Numbers) and Jeff Tigay (Deuteronomy)where can you go wrong? This is solid stuff.

My only regret so far is that Accordance has not seen fit to add to this collection the equally brilliant Haftarot volume which was authored by Michael Fishbane. The scholarship in all these volumes is impecable.

2)I believe that the accurancy of the Accordance text is very good.

3)The layout is fine and the ability to search the texts is the what makes the Accordance version a winner.

Thanks, Gordon!

I've been consulting a print copy of the Jonah commentary in the same series--also really good stuff, with more from JPS in production. (Psalms, in multiple volumes!)