Poole & Gill

ericjmu

The standard answer appears to be "Is there an e-text?", which I believe in both cases to be No.

Gill has been discussed here in the past, and if memory serves me correctly that didn't get anywhere.

There are online versions available:

http://www.studylight.org/com/

Has both and many more resources. To import them into Accordance you would have to format the entire tool as a single HTML document and then import them.

That's a great link Bob, but is there any way to download the works in one go? I can see I would have to copy and paste on a chapter-by-chapter basis, which wouldn't be a problem for studying Obadiah or Jude, but would be a challenge for Genesis or the Psalms.

Hmmmm... I would do the whole process since I'd like these modules myself but I'm unsure of the copyright status. While the original text itself is certainly in public domain, I'm not sure if the e-text that that website has (or any site) is free to use.

I have found another site with these e-texts on which are grouped by book rather than chapter so easier to deal with. I am corresponding with the owner of the site at the moment to see whether I can use it as the basis for a user tool which could then be put on the Exchange. Will let you know how it goes.

I have found another site with these e-texts on which are grouped by book rather than chapter so easier to deal with. I am corresponding with the owner of the site at the moment to see whether I can use it as the basis for a user tool which could then be put on the Exchange. Will let you know how it goes.

Let us know if you are successful, maybe we can help with the formatting and importing.

Ditto - lemme know what the site admins say and I can reformat the HTML into an Accordance acceptable version.

This would be great! I almost wonder if a kickstarter project or something could be started to get these two modules going. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the comments and help guys. Glad there are other poole and gill accordance guys out there.

This would be great! I almost wonder if a kickstarter project or something could be started to get these two modules going. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the comments and help guys. Glad there are other poole and gill accordance guys out there.

I don't know Kickstarter well enough, is it a good platform for getting volunteers? I've only ever paid for stuff on it.

There is no need for a kickstarter as the hard part is already done - e-text already exists. I'm waiting on Steve King to see if the site will allow us to use this e-text and then all I need to do is format the HTML such that Accordance can import it.

That being said, if when this is all said and done your hearts are just overflowing with gratitude and you want to throw some cash my way, I accept Accordance gift cards. :D

I have a positive reply from the site owner. The e-texts are available online in pdf format. However the owner has some in Word and he is willing to share these with me. He has Poole in Word but I'm not yet sure whether he has a Word document (or documents) for Gill. I hope so because it will be a lot easier.

I am just checking with Ken whether the e-mail trail I have is acceptable so that any user tool developed from these e-texts would be able to go onto Accordance Exchange.

This is really exciting. Having just Poole on Accordance would be great. Having both, even more so.

thanks guys,

eric

Just to give you an update. I have permission to use the files and there are word documents for each book of the Bible. I have checked with Ken and he is happy with the permission so that they can be put on exchange.

The formatting takes a bit of time, particularly getting the headings consistent and the references automatically recognised. I have completed the Poole Old Testament. The New Testament appears to be a bit more consistent in format so hopefully will be a bit easier to complete.

However, there appears to be more Greek and Hebrew in the New Testament so that will take some time, especially as all I know of Hebrew is the alphabet and it does not use the Accordance font. This will be more of a problem in Gill.

I converted the one example of Greek in Poole's Old Testament to the Helena font but when I import it to a user tool it looses the font. Does anyone know if there a way of getting this to import correctly without having to go into the user tool and update it in Accordance?

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I think you will find it works if you change the Greek and Hebrew just to Unicode characters. It will be tedious though...

Thanks Ken. I will try that out. I've been updating the word document in windows because you get a better html fit with

Accordance. I think I will do the unicode on the Mac then back to windows to get the html produced.

I'm testing out importing Greek and Hebrew characters. So I tried various options, unicode in different fonts and also not using unicode with Helena and Yehudit. None of the results work without further work in the user tool. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to update the HTML in some way?

It was written in a word document then saved as HTML. Then imported.

post-30494-0-44573500-1381295537_thumb.png

Hi Steve, not sure why that isn't working. Can you attach a zipped file of a bit of the unicode version please?

Hi Ken,

Here is the test file in Word (Mac) and the HTML version

Archive.zip

Hi Steve, sorry this has taken a while. Joel tells me I am wrong in that it's only user Bibles that support Unicode.

Having said that, I suspect that User Tools don't support multiple font input (hence the issue with Helena/Yehudit). Just confirming that. It certainly doesn't work....

Edited by Ken Simpson

Oh well. I was afraid you were going to say that. I think the help needs to be clarified. It certainly implies that you can load Greek and Hebrew on HTML import. See screenshot

post-30494-0-01631600-1381531821_thumb.png

I'm actually investigating this right now. I believe it is possible, but the help is missing some info. Will report back shortly!

OK, good news and bad news!

Good News: Unicode and MacRoman import of Yehudit and Helena is fully supported in the user tools:

Screen shot 2013-10-11 at 11.13.48 PM.png

This was done using your provided attached file, no changes.

Bad News: There's a bug (since about 9.5, maybe 9.4) preventing this. I've fixed it for the next release, but you'll have to wait until 10.3.2 to get your greek and hebrew user tool import working again. (If you really need it ASAP, you could message me the files, and I'll import the tool for you using the early build).

• Like 1

yay!

Thanks Joel. That is good news. I am happy to wait for the next release. I have got a lot of converting to Unicode to do on the Greek and Hebrew parts of the import files so it will take me some time before I am ready to load up the final file.