#41 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,530 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

My favorite example:

Java and Javascript are similar like Car and Carpet are similar.
  • Greg Terry and Michael Miles like this
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#42 Deborah Hemstreet

Deborah Hemstreet

• Accordance
  • 35 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Re Java and Javascript being different, you are right. My apologies for not specifying the difference.

However, according to the instructions I received from the company that makes the software I use to develop the Help, both Java and Javascript must be enabled to optimally view the Help.

By the way, with regard to you being able to view the Help on the web, but not locally -- when Google browser was first released, you could not view WebHelp in it, for the same reasons you cited... a lot of people were very angry, and it took a while for Google to get the message, but they finally removed the internal changes they had made that prevented being able to view WebHelp.

I think you've proven that the problem is with the restriction and suggest you lodge a complaint with Apple that their "security" is preventing you from viewing WebHelp. You are not the only person who will have this problem. But unfortunately, it cannot be fixed from our end.
In HIS Grace

#43 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Blues and Jazz guitar. Rainy days. Assembly Language Programming. Massorah studies & Bible translation.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Re Java and Javascript being different, you are right. My apologies for not specifying the difference.

However, according to the instructions I received from the company that makes the software I use to develop the Help, both Java and Javascript must be enabled to optimally view the Help.

By the way, with regard to you being able to view the Help on the web, but not locally -- when Google browser was first released, you could not view WebHelp in it, for the same reasons you cited... a lot of people were very angry, and it took a while for Google to get the message, but they finally removed the internal changes they had made that prevented being able to view WebHelp.

I think you've proven that the problem is with the restriction and suggest you lodge a complaint with Apple that their "security" is preventing you from viewing WebHelp. You are not the only person who will have this problem. But unfortunately, it cannot be fixed from our end.

I'm looking forward to hearing what MadCap has to say about this. Another person has reported the same situation on their system - http://www.accordanc...?showtopic=8748

#44 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Out of curiosity, Michael, do you run as an admin user?
Joel Brown

#45 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'd be interested to know if the Java update that was pushed out by Apple today resolves the issue.

#46 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Blues and Jazz guitar. Rainy days. Assembly Language Programming. Massorah studies & Bible translation.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

Out of curiosity, Michael, do you run as an admin user?

Yes, Joel. My account is an admin account.

I'd be interested to know if the Java update that was pushed out by Apple today resolves the issue.

How was this update pushed? I just got home from work and ran Software Update and it came back with nothing new - this being the software update on the Apple menu.

#47 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,348 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

I got it today via Software update (ML 10.8.2)

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#48 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

I got it today via Software update (ML 10.8.2)

Oops- these long shifts beat me up. I get no update since I don't have Java installed. I don't like to install stuff that I do not use as anything you install can be a liability to security (too many years of playing with OpenBSD, I suppose).

Since the Accordance installation did not require Java, I see no point in installing it on my own. Nothing else here is requiring Java. If Accordance required Java, then I believe that the programmers would have stipulated making sure that it was installed on the target system during the installation process.... eh?

#49 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,348 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

and if it is needed, you should be prompted to install it when it needs it....

Be nice to know - Deborah or Joel - is Java (not Javascript) *required* for the help system?

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#50 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

It seems that MadCap Flare requires Java, but that is just to run aspects of MadCap Flare - not to use the Help files that MadCap Flare generates.

See here - http://kb.madcapsoft...equirements.htm

#51 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

Yow... it's Friday and still no word from MadCap? Awesome.

#52 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

We've been communicating with MadCap, but still no resolutions or new ideas from them, so far. I'd like to resolve this ASAP, but their timing is not under our control.
Joel Brown

#53 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

We've been communicating with MadCap, but still no resolutions or new ideas from them, so far. I'd like to resolve this ASAP, but their timing is not under our control.

Thank you, Joel.

#54 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

I just now downloaded and installed Accordance 10.0.5 and just for kicks I went ahead and went to the Develop menu that I had previously enabled in Safari and unchecked Disable Local Filesystem Restrictions and Accordance Help is currently working without having to disable the local restrictions. Interesting.

#55 Michael Miles

Michael Miles

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

After my last post I went ahead and reset Safari to see if perhaps a cache was yanking my chain and with Safari all hosed out and cleaned up I went back into Accordance 10.0.5 with my clean Mountain Lion installation and the Help System is working fine.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users