display option for multiple versions

tlw5560

Let me lobby once again for this type of desktop in Accordance. I would like to be able to access multiple versions and original languages in a single pane that could be linked/synchronized with a single version in another pane. So in one column/pane you would have a base version (e.g. NKJ) and in the other column/pane you would have the verse clicked on in the various versions. It would look something like this:

(left pane)

Psalm 24

NKJ in context

(right pane)

Psalm 24:2

BHS

LXX

ESV

NIV

(please imagine the two "panes" above side by side--I couldn't figure out how to do that on the forum)

Some have been lobbying for the ability to access the LXX & the GNT (and the BHS/GNT) in the same pane and I believe type of display option would satisfy them as well. It would be nice if the multi-version pane was searchable, but I'd settle for it just being a display option for now. There are times when I like to study multiple versions in context side by side which is Accordance's basic setup. There are times when I like to focus on a single verse which can be done via highlighting. However, the display option I'm describing would allow you to do so with less desktop being consumed--a feature that laptop users would find appealing. Also, it would give desktop users greater flexibility with font sizing.

Many thanks for your program and this forum--Terry

You're speaking of something like this:

NRSV										 
________________________________________________________________________________

Psalm 24												  |  Psalm 24:2
2 	for he has founded it on the seas,				  |  BHS
	and established it on the rivers.				 |  כִּי־ה֖וּא עַל־יַמִּ֣ים יְסָדָ֑הּ וְעַל־נְ֝הָר֗וֹת יְכוֹנְנֶֽהָ׃
3 	   Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?		   |  
	And who shall stand in his holy place?			|  LXX
4 	Those who have clean hands and pure hearts,		 |  ἐπὶ σοὶ πέποιθα μὴ 
	who do not lift up their souls to what is false,  |  καταισχυνθείην μηδὲ καταγελασάτωσάν
	and do not swear deceitfully.					 |  μου οἱ ἐχθροί μου
5 	They will receive blessing from the LORD,		   |  
	and vindication from the God of their salvation.  |  WEB
6 	Such is the company of those who seek him,		  |  For he has founded it on the seas,
	who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah	  |  And established it on the floods.

It would make sense to me if the right side were actually a bunch of vertically stacked individual text panes. That would be nice to have the option for the rightmost column to be able to stack panes vertically.

Also, I have kinda wondered why text panes are kept from being switched to being stacked vertically down below like tool windows.

be nice to have the option for the rightmost column to be able to stack panes vertically.

Also, I have kinda wondered why text panes are kept from being switched to being stacked vertically down below like tool windows.

I was looking at an old manual for version 5, and this functionality used to be there for texts, at least it appeared to be in the screenshots. It looks like it disappeared in version 6. I was always curious about that. You can force the panes to go vertical through some manipulation, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to switch the orientation.

Precisely! I figured some of you smooth operators would be able to "flesh out" my idea.

You're speaking of something like this:

NRSV										 
________________________________________________________________________________

Psalm 24												  |  Psalm 24:2
2	 for he has founded it on the seas,				  |  BHS
	 and established it on the rivers.				 |  כִּי־ה֖וּא עַל־יַמִּ֣ים יְסָדָ֑הּ וְעַל־נְ֝הָר֗וֹת יְכוֹנְנֶֽהָ׃
3		Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?		   |  
	 And who shall stand in his holy place?			|  LXX
4	 Those who have clean hands and pure hearts,		 |  ἐπὶ σοὶ πέποιθα μὴ 
	 who do not lift up their souls to what is false,  |  καταισχυνθείην μηδὲ καταγελασάτωσάν
	 and do not swear deceitfully.					 |  μου οἱ ἐχθροί μου
5	 They will receive blessing from the LORD,		   |  
	 and vindication from the God of their salvation.  |  WEB
6	 Such is the company of those who seek him,		  |  For he has founded it on the seas,
	 who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah	  |  And established it on the floods.

It would make sense to me if the right side were actually a bunch of vertically stacked individual text panes. That would be nice to have the option for the rightmost column to be able to stack panes vertically.

Responses to the previous topic on combining versions in one pane brought out many of the problems inherent in a feature like that. We are not likely to tackle it any time soon.

This request is also not easily implemented. Maybe in the future we will add a switch button to all Bible panes so that they can easily be moved to the lower row. (Nothing related to panes was dropped in version 6, Robb, which page are you looking at?) Now you can force a second row for Bible texts only by filling the top row. We do plan to allow horizontal panes which would effectively give you interleaved verses, notes, whatever you had, but not a mixture of horizontal and vertical panes in the same window!

Maybe you are all forgetting that windows don't all have to be tabs in the same workspace. They can be detached. You can have one window with a single text and another with multiple versions, tile them and tie them so that they scroll together. Here's an example using a text window, but a search window would work as well.

tiled_windows.jpg

I hope this helps.

Helen,

I believe I was looking at the New Since 4 documentation, which is no longer available via the link on the documentation page. If the link gets fixed, I can look for the exact page.

Maybe you are all forgetting that windows don't all have to be tabs in the same workspace. They can be detached. You can have one window with a single text and another with multiple versions, tile them and tie them so that they scroll together. Here's an example using a text window, but a search window would work as well.

See, I like what Helen has demonstrated. This, I think, is a nice, clean and intuitive way of having linked texts displaying a verse.

Helen,

I have come up with a work around using the detached windows as you suggested. It is pretty much what I am advocating--Not quite as seemless as I would like, but still quite workable. Here is a "grab" (gif format) attached showing my desktop. Basically, I duplicated detached windows and tied them to my main search window. I use highlights to make the particular verse of interest stand out. (By the way--why is it necessary to have "important" in the highlight menu...wouldn't a simple highlight-clear highlight be sufficient?)

Thank you for help, Terry

Precisely! I figured some of you smooth operators would be able to "flesh out" my idea.

I have come up with a work around using the detached windows as you suggested.
And for you or others reading along, don't forget that once you've tweaked a window configuration just as you want it, you can save the setup. Putting it in the dock gives you quick access (or use some other preferred quick launch tool such as Quicksilver).

(By the way--why is it necessary to have "important" in the highlight menu...wouldn't a simple highlight-clear highlight be sufficient?)

The Important Style is just one sample highlight style. You can delete it, rename it, create countless other styles, etc. When you have more than one highlight style defined, it will make sense that each style's name appears in the Highlight menus. You can define additional highlight styles by choosing Define Highlight Styles from the Display menu.

The Important Style is just one sample highlight style. You can delete it, rename it, create countless other styles, etc. When you have more than one highlight style defined, it will make sense that each style's name appears in the Highlight menus. You can define additional highlight styles by choosing Define Highlight Styles from the Display menu.

Thanks David--i was hoping that was possible. Thank you Joe & Robb as well.

Archived