New range of iMacs

Ploni

Perhaps someone might be able to assist me in my query. I wondered how the new range of iMacs ran Accordance in comparison with the older range (PowerPC's). I note the new iMacs all have glossy screens, and wondered if this might effect one's use of an Academic program like Accordance which requires absolute clarity in the screen (i.e. as little glare as possible). Obviously the new iMacs would have the power to run Accordance very well, but my question really is about the new screen. Another consideration too is the size. Would an Accordance user require all that extra space? And while we are on the subject: I welcome any insight into the way mini Macs runs Accordance.

Just my 2¢ worth. I bought a 24" iMac last year with the glossy screen and have been extremely happy with it. I love all the extra screen space to have open multiple tabs. It is by far the best Mac I have owned (and I have owned about 15 over the past 24 years). As a testament to Accordance's excellent programming I cannot tell any difference in the speed of it on my iBook G4 and my fast new Intel Mac. Both run incredibly fast.

Tony Lawrence

I have a Cinema Display with the same screen and I think it is great. Obviously, if you have a window behind you with sun shining in, you will notice glare.

You won't necessarily need the extra space, but I'm sure you'll find good use for it (as Tony mentioned above).

I used to use Accordance on a 15" MacBook Pro, but I got so hungry for more space that I got the 27" iMac and I really love it.

I've got a huge window in front of me and another huge window to the side. I only notice glare on weekends when it's day time and I'm watching a sci-fi video. :) I don't ever remember any glare while using Accordance.

Ditto on the supposed glare problems of a glossy screen. I have a big window behind my desk, and have never had glare problems. I replaced my screen, could've gone with matte, but still chose another glossy screen because it is superb.

The ONLY reason to prefer Matte is if you have a window CLOSE behind you at your desk, perhaps, and if you're doing professional color matching maybe.

Ditto on the supposed glare problems of a glossy screen. I have a big window behind my desk, and have never had glare problems. I replaced my screen, could've gone with matte, but still chose another glossy screen because it is superb.

The ONLY reason to prefer Matte is if you have a window CLOSE behind you at your desk, perhaps, and if you're doing professional color matching maybe.

Probably more accurate to indicate 'close' as you did. I did have a window behind me in my office maybe 10 ft away, and I rarely noticed glare (only on particularly sunny days with the blinds open). Hope that clarifies my prev statement.

I just bought a 15 inch macbook pro. I was concerned matte versus glossy. I choose the glossy and am glad I did. The glare is not a problem. Only in extreme cases, would you have a problem. I would go to the Apple store and look at both. As for myself, I am content.

Frank

I have a 27" iMac (glossy screen) with a window and have no problems - six 3 inch tabs open at once is a blessing.

Archived