Individual Volumes vs. Commentary Set Interest Level

TomBuck1966

It was suggested that I put a post regarding the organization of commentaries in the forum and see if there are others who share this interest. Many commentary sets are not a complete treatment of the NT or OT. This means I either have to remember which individual volumes each commentary set has or I have to open that commentary set to check and see if it has the volume I need. At the least, I would like to be able to search my library for all the commentaries that I have on the Gospel of Luke, for example, instead of having to search each commentary set. That would be such a timesaver. When possible, I like to download any incomplete commentary set I buy in individual volumes and then organize the commentary section of my library by the individual book. If a commentary set is a complete treatment of NT, then keep it together. Otherwise, have all my Matthew commentaries, Mark commentaries, etc., grouped together. Therefore, at the most, I would like to have Accordance offer both options for downloading books into our library. For those who prefer the library to be purely sets, they could download that. For those who would like individual volumes to be the makeup of their library, the could download individual volumes. And for those, like me, could have a mixture of some complete sets in their library and some individual volumes. There would still be a discount for purchasing the complete set, but you could still download them as individual volumes. What say you?

Edited by TomBuck1966

If I wanted all available volumes of a series, there is absolutely no way I would choose to have them as individual files. Many major commentaries are incomplete, so they would be rendered as dozens of volumes instead of 1-2. The issues of managing the files in the library and scrolling through them all in lists would outweigh any benefit for me.

Edited by JonathanHuber

Jonathan,

But what about the ability to download either way you choose. Some you might, others not. Also, what about the ability to search for a particular volume and it bring up all the volumes you have for Galatians, for example???

Tom

For what it's worth, we recently discussed the ability to search the library for additional title information, and it would be particularly helpful for commentaries as you mention here. We currently support this for items such as author and publisher; we would just need to expand it for other data. I don't know when this might be implemented, but it has been discussed.

One of the advantages of grouping volumes together in a single module is the ability to search them all very quickly and easily. One of our competitors breaks each 'title' into a separate resource and we have heard over the years about how difficult it is to search them together.

• Like 2

But what about the ability to download either way you choose. Some you might, others not. Also, what about the ability to search for a particular volume and it bring up all the volumes you have for Galatians, for example???

Tom,

I inferred from your initial post that you wanted to see what other people think about this. I have no objection to Accordance offering this option if there's enough demand to warrant it. I'm just noting that I don't expect to use it.

Regarding your second question, I use Search All to do something like this. If it was possible to search the library for "Galatians" and find all commentaries covering Galatians, I suppose that could be useful, though it doesn't seem to offer much benefit other than identifying which tools you want to use. If you use the tools often, you'd probably just remember that information anyway, no? Am I missing something?

Again, I'm not trying to discount your preference. If enough users want this, that's fine.

Jonathan