Import User Tool Trouble

Brent Lawrence

I encountered something new this evening as I was attempting to import another sermon into my Sermons User Tool. The following error message appeared.

post-235-0-57278900-1393735258_thumb.png

At this point, I'm unsure why the file name has two extensions, which I'm certain this would be why Accordance is not handling the import. I've tried saving the file as plain text and html. As html, the file name has .htm.html at the end of it.

Anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Thanks.

Can you not just edit the extension in the Finder Get Info?

Can you not just edit the extension in the Finder Get Info?

I've tried that. What's strange is that the file name does not show the extra information in Get Info the way Accordance seems to see it. It looks like a normal extension. I even tried saving the text document with "Hide Extension" selected. I have never had this happen before, so the occurrence is odd. Ultimately, I resorted to copy, paste and then added the Scripture links.

I've tried that. What's strange is that the file name does not show the extra information in Get Info the way Accordance seems to see it. It looks like a normal extension. I even tried saving the text document with "Hide Extension" selected. I have never had this happen before, so the occurrence is odd. Ultimately, I resorted to copy, paste and then added the Scripture links.

So, I gave it another try by deleting the file extension .txt in Get Info and this time it worked. So I guess it's solved, I'm just not sure why I would have to eliminate the file extension in order for the import to operate correctly.

I've seen something similar (and posted elsewhere--it wasn't the same exact issue as here, but similar)... multiple file extensions created for the same file (by Accordance--not anything I did). The fix from our end (delete extra characters in extension) is easy enough, but I'm still unclear as to why acc.accord and .accord both show up for the same workspace, for example. Seems the files are self-duplicating, using different extensions.

This really is not resolved. I have, through "Get Info" tried to hide my .txt extension both by clicking the "Hide Extension" box and by simply deleting the .txt in the file name. I am still getting the error message above and the file name has a double extension at the end. I'm not sure why this has seemingly started happening. I've been able to successfully import .txt files in the recent past. I am running Accordance 10.3.4.

Created my file in Textwrangler, saved it as a text file and now Accordance somehow sees the text document as "myfilename.txt.txt" and cannot import it into my user tool.

• 1 month later...

Same problem. I still cannot seem to import any text or html into my User Tool. I'm not sure why, when I save the file in Text Wrangler all appears OK. There is the file name, in this case:

Road to the Resurrection 2.txt

The .txt is added by Text Wrangler, not me. When I then choose to import this file into my Sermons user tool, it seems that Accordance can't complete it because somehow there is an extra and truncated file extension added to the filename so it looks like this:

Road to the Resurrection 2.tx.txt

I realize I can just copy and paste, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the import function, which for me has worked up until a few weeks ago. When I import, I am simply trying to merge the file into an existing user tool rather than creating a new user tool.

Hi Brent,

I'd love to have a look at it. Could you please zip it up and post the text file, or email me - I will PM my accordance address.

Hi Brent, just had a go and (sadly) it worked perfectly.

The file you sent didn't have the .txt extension, so I added it, and then imported it as a text file.

Seems just fine, no errors, and it looks great.

Could you send me any other txt files that aren't working for you? (or for that matter any html files?)

I divine you are on a mac (hence the textwrangler reference) and I assume you are using 10.4.1 Accordance.

Look forward to the ongoing conversation - do you want me to email you the user tool? (Actually I will just do that)

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I will send you something new (or different). I'm not trying create a new User Tool, I am simply trying to import the text or html file into a current user tool, adding the new sermon or notes to the end of the tool.

I have emailed you with a couple other files. These should have extensions on them as created by TextWrangler.

Hi Brent, I have played with the files you sent, and indeed it does seem to be a completely replicable issue. The initial import of a user tool from a text file works just fine, but then when you try to import and add to that user tool, you get errors as you have pointed out, with very strange errors, with both incorrect file extensions (added unnecessarily) and strange prefixes (the .1 in your example)

I think this is a bug. I have tried changing the encoding to Mac Roman, same result, and taking out the spaces in the name (a long shot - but worth a try I though - no luck there either).

I think it's over to Joel and the other programmers to look at now.

At least you know it's not you going mad!

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Brent, I have played with the files you sent, and indeed it does seem to be a completely replicable issue. The initial import of a user tool from a text file works just fine, but then when you try to import and add to that user tool, you get errors as you have pointed out, with very strange errors, with both incorrect file extensions (added unnecessarily) and strange prefixes (the .1 in your example)

I think this is a bug. I have tried changing the encoding to Mac Roman, same result, and taking out the spaces in the name (a long shot - but worth a try I though - no luck there either).

I think it's over to Joel and the other programmers to look at now.

At least you know it's not you going mad!

Ken,

Thank you for looking into this and confirming the issue. I thought a bug had crept in, since I had successfully been using this feature in the past without incident.

This is something I use on a weekly basis as I continually add to my sermons and then preach from Accordance on the iPad, which have become the perfect preaching tools for me.

Thank you for confirming that I am not going mad!

We've improved this and fixed the issues in 10.4.2. In the meantime, as a workaround, if you use a shorter filename you shouldn't have trouble importing. Try using "Road To Rev 2.txt" or something similar, temporarily for the import.

We've improved this and fixed the issues in 10.4.2. In the meantime, as a workaround, if you use a shorter filename you shouldn't have trouble importing. Try using "Road To Rev 2.txt" or something similar, temporarily for the import.

Thanks Joel. I appreciate it. Is there a limit on the characters in the filename until 10.4.2?

I'd say try to keep under 25 characters in the non-extension part and you should be fine. Once 10.4.2 hits, I think you are back at a 31 character limit.