Article Selection

R. Mansfield

After lugging vol. 2 of the Anchor Bible Dictionary all last week between home and school, I broke down and bought the ABD for Accordance.

I should have done this a long time ago. It's very helpful to have it on my PowerBook which I am going to lug around no matter what. But better even than that, what I prefer to do is to select the article that I want, paste it in a word processor, reduce the type to 10 points and then print it front and back to carry with me.

I've been doing this for a while with articles from the Theological Journal Library as well as from the Essential IVP Reference Collection.

I've thought about this before, but I always forget to suggest it... I think it would be quite handy to have a way to select the enitre article perhaps from the browser on the left or perhaps from a right-click in the article itself. As is, it's not too big a deal--I just drag and select from the beginning of the article to the end, but sometimes that can be tricky, so an automatic shortcut selection would be nice.

What do you think?

Yes, very nice, and already available in Accordance. :)

Simply option-click on the title of the article in the browser. Search for * and set the Show pop-up menu to Articles.

You can also reduce the font and print it directly from Accordance.

You can also use the browser selection to search within the selected articles. That can now be done using Extra Fields in More Options, but is often more convenient in the browser.

• Like 1

And I bet that's one of the things in the manual...

Okay, I followed your instructions, and now there are the little blue bookmarks to the right of every paragraph, but how then would I select the entire article for either copying or printing?

Of course!

Set the Show pop-up menu to Articles.

OH! That works so well!

You have taught a man to fish!

• 8 years later...

Bumping this thread since I've been racking my brain trying to remember how to do this. Very helpful tip.

• Like 2

Thanks, Helen and Rick! I didn't know you could do this... it's really helpful!

What excellent early morning entertainment!

• Like 1

OK. I'm encouraged that I actually remembered how to do this. But it doesn't work in all Tools. I had opened Creeds, and wanted to show just The 1677/1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith, and apparently its formatting does not permit the showing of just articles. Using the gear menu > Show Text As > Articles takes me back to the top of the module. Choosing Show Text As > Paragraphs does the came thing — back to the start position in the module. Surely this is not how it's supposed to work?

Actually, it does work, you just have to tell accordance that you're "searching" for the article. The red bar doesn't select the article so much as restrict the search. I leave the search bar blank and then hit enter. Then limit to article.

Thanks, Jonathan. That was a key – a 'blank' search after selecting the article and limiting the search to just the article. I wonder sometimes how much of what I learn is new, and how much of it is relearning what I've forgotten!

Anyway, thanks for clearing up my confusion for now. I will no doubt discover something new to muddle before the week is out.