Content Search

williamk

Can someone tell me how to search a given block of content? Example:

1. I search by VERSE for Genesis 1-2 and it displays.

2. Now I want to search that content for all the places "created" occurs.

How? I think it has to do with opening a new search window, choosing the Content command, picking the name of the original search window from the dialog box. But when I do that, and enter "created" I get a message that says "The content command cannot be a part of a phrase" -- or something like that.

I've spent all the time I can justify spending in the Acc. manual to no avail.

Thanks, WK

William,

You don't need to start by doing a verse search. Simply do a word search and specify a range.

1. First, click the search for words radio button.

2. Enter the word or phrase you want to find.

3. Specify a range of Genesis 1-2. You can do this in one of two ways:

a. Define a permanent range. To do this:

1) Click the disclosure triangle to open the More Options section of the search window.

2) In the second pop-up menu, preceded by the word "in," select Define Range...

3) In the dialog box that opens, click the New button and give your new range a name and a definition. The definition is simply a list of books, chapters, and verses you want to be included, such as Gen 1-2

4) Click Update to add your new range. Your new range will now be selected in the More Options section of the search window. Just go back to the search window and click OK to perform your search.

b. Alternatively, you can create a temporary range using the RANGE command. To do this, select AND from the Enter Command submenu of the Search menu, then select the RANGE command from the same menu. These commands will then be inserted into your search argument, and you can enter Gen 1-2 inside the Range command.

Either approach should get you what you're looking for.

David,

Thanks for your reply -- I do use range searches often. I use a simple example to illustrate my point, but I'm thinking there's a simpler way to do what I'm after than defining a new range, etc. Say I have created a search window that contains 15 or 20 different passages from different books. I know that somewhere in that long list of passages in my search window is a certain name or word -- I just can't remember where I saw it. Isn't there a way to quickly search the content of that window? That's really what I'm looking for -- to set up a new search range for a long list of unconnected passages would be pretty time consuming.

Tx,

William K.

William,

You don't need to start by doing a verse search. Simply do a word search and specify a range.

I'm not sure exactly why your initial search went awry. I tried repeating what you did, and it worked correctly.

See the attached example: Simple Gen 1-2 search in verses in one HCSB, the other is Contents created.

Archived