Laptop with/without monitor workspace adjustment

Kerry Magruder

My chief computer is now a 13-inch MBP, but at home I plug it into a 27 in Cinema Display and at work it's attached to a 30 in Cinema Display. It would be convenient if I could set default workspaces for each configuration, so that I wouldn't have to reposition the Instant Details box, the Library window, the Resources palette, etc., depending on which monitor I'm using at the moment.

If default workspaces for particular screen configurations is not possible, then it would be great to be able to specify the location of these items in saved workspaces - I already have saved workspaces for these different configurations, but these windows and palettes are not affected by the workspace - when I open the 30 in workspace, the Details box and Resource palette, for example, appear where I last used them on the 13 in screen.

Clicking the green expand button expands a workspace nicely to fit the screen, but it's still necessary to manually position the Library window and palettes, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something ... any suggestions for making Accordance ready to go, asap on opening, regardless of the variable screen size?

Many thanks,

PEACE

Kerry

Edited by Kerry Magruder

Great point - I totally agree with this. I hook up my MBP to my old Dell 20" monitor when I'm at home and have thought many times that it would be nice if Accordance "knew" where to go depending on if the monitor was attached or not. It's also inconvenient that the different panes don't snap together when you drag the main text window from one screen to another.

There was extensive discussion on this topic. Sorry we don't have a quick solution yet.

You can keep separate sets of preferences, but that's not ideal either.

Sorry, link was bad, now fixed.

Helen, glad you all are on it. The link to the topic didn't work for me (I did search before posting but failed to find a discussion of this). Anyway, if you all are working on it, I'll be patient. Many thanks.

Anyway, if you all are working on it, I'll be patient. Many thanks.

This is really an OS issue, isn't it?

I have stopped using an external for my Macbook, but I don't recall any application that was able to smartly change window configuration as you plugged and unplugged an external.

Yes, but the Accordance Zones prove that they can do magic, so I'll keep hoping! :)

Sorry , this was the other topic.

There is [as yet] no quick way to to automatically convert all one's workspaces. However, it IS possible to save sessions. Saving a session means all one's window and palette positions and sizes are saved. This means we can save a session sand title it "Cinema Monitor" or "MacBook Air." It really saves time dragging and resizing everything every time the big monitor is connected.

I think that the palette positions and sizes are not saved in a session, but in the settings. That's why you would need to switch out your settings manually each time, not just open a session.

I think that the palette positions and sizes are not saved in a session, but in the settings. That's why you would need to switch out your settings manually each time, not just open a session.

Right.

Hopefully a future OS X update will make a solution to this easier to implement, as we begin to access our apps from more and more places and screens.

PEACE

Kerry

• 10 months later...

Thanks so much for resolving this in Accordance 10!!! :D

• Like 1

We are here to serve!

The v 10.x UI does help a small display make the most of limited real estate. Thanks indeed.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta