Parallel Passages

Richard Labelle

:rolleyes: Anyone has an answer to this?

In the <Beginning in Mark> module Intro to Accordance (Parallel Passages section) it says, quote:

"Suppose you just wanted to see the parallel passages in the Gospels? Use the pop-up menu at the top left of the parallel window and select Gospels. This will give you a list of parallel passages in each Gospel, topics such as John

Try just clicking OK in the window after changing the parallel you are viewing.

Try just clicking OK in the window after changing the parallel you are viewing.

I did click "OK" Helen in my previous post and got the result as described!

(When I changed from "OT to NT" to "Gospels", no data would show up in the lower pane but

in clicking OK the same result as "OT to NT" would show up).

OK, I tried it this time, and clicking OK does give me the new set of pericopes, so it should do the same for you. However, no text shows up in the panes below becuase my OT in NT Parallel has the BHS as the default text for the OT, and this stays as the default text so the verses are all blank. Resetting the text in the pop-up menu to one that includes the NT solves the problem.

The Beginning in Mark module was intended for the study of the English text. If your defaults are set like mine, you just have to work around the little glitches.

I cannot imagine any other reason why you should not see the new parallels.

Helen, I opened the Accordance Preferences. In the Parallel Window I changed the "OT to NT" text to: NIV and NT Text to: NET.

I've also changed the settings of "Gospels" as follows: Text - NIV but the NT text field has NAS95S in it and it is grayed. --- no change, same result as before.

To let you know, this is what I did: In the search window I've entered: Mark 1: 1-13 and clicked OK. So the text of Mark 1: 1-13 showed in the lower pane.

I then highlighted Mark 1: 2,3 in the lower pane, clicked on the Parallel Text tool "OT in NT" result: 2 links. Then I chose "Gospels" from the pop-up menu (on top of the Tie scrolling box).

Same results as "OT in NT".

What settings should I put in the Parallel Window for: OT to NT and Gospels. Is there anything else I need to know to make this work?

Thanks Helen for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

RL

What settings should I put in the Parallel Window for: OT to NT and Gospels. Is there anything else I need to know to make this work?

Richard,

I may not be following all the variables you're asking about, the the short and simple and important thing to remember is to have a parallel text pane set to a text module that contains that text reference.

In addition, I'd really recommend keeping the same translation in parallel panes in OT in NT. For instance, the NIV translators were fully aware of the OT parallels when translating and would be attentive to the connections... comparing among the same translation will highlight the comparison and eliminate some distinctions that just arise from different translation committees.

My 2

Thanks Joe, I'll keep that in mind.

RL

Helen, I opened the Accordance Preferences. In the Parallel Window I changed the "OT to NT" text to: NIV and NT Text to: NET.

I've also changed the settings of "Gospels" as follows: Text - NIV but the NT text field has NAS95S in it and it is grayed. --- no change, same result as before.

You can reset the text in the Parallel window, the Preferences just sets the text for new windows. Except for the OT in NT parallel, there is only one text to set, and the NT Text is dimmed in Preferences and invisible on the window itself. Your new settings should be OK, then.

To let you know, this is what I did: In the search window I've entered: Mark 1: 1-13 and clicked OK. So the text of Mark 1: 1-13 showed in the lower pane.

I then highlighted Mark 1: 2,3 in the lower pane, clicked on the Parallel Text tool "OT in NT" result: 2 links. Then I chose "Gospels" from the pop-up menu (on top of the Tie scrolling box).

Same results as "OT in NT".

Once again: I reproduced your steps to show the OT in NT parallels.

I choose Gospels, the pericope list at the top left empties, the OK button becomes active, the text panes (which are showing as many OT in NT panes as my default settings in Preferences unless I opened more) do not change. They show Exodus, Malachi, Matthew, Mark, Luke)

I click OK, the pericope list shows 2 different titles, and the panes change to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Sorry, I cannot reproduce your problem.

Helen, I get the same result as you. Would you look at this - (this is from the module "Beginning in Mark" the Parallel Passages section. quote:

"....

Paragraph 1: In the box on the right of the window, you will see that there are two cross-references in the Mark passage: Behold I Am Sending a Messenger Before You and The Voice Calling in the Desert. Clicking on each of these will display a different set of parallel passages. (up to now, no problems)

Paragraph 2: Suppose you just wanted to see the parallel passages in the Gospels? Use the pop-up menu at the top left of the parallel window and select Gospels. This will give you a list of parallel passages in each Gospel, topics such as John’s Messianic Preaching, The Baptism of Jesus, Jesus’ Witness Concerning John, and more. Explore these to see how different Gospel writers describe the events we are studying." That <_< is the cause of my problem. Following this definitively do not give the results they are taking about.

Could it be that those 2 paragraphs are unrelated?

Thanks Helen/Joe.

True, I only get two pericopes: John the Baptist and Jesus' Witness concerning John. I guess what you are pointing out now is that the Beginning in Mark module is poorly edited at this point. If you edit the entry box to Mark 1 or just Mark you will see the other pericopes that are mentioned.

Note that the order of the pericopes is scriptural, so all pericopes that include Matthew's Gospel appear before any that do not include Matthew, so 107, Jesus' Witness concerning John, gets bumped down the list when you widen the reference in the entry box.

Helen/Joe, again - thank you so much for your help.

... good job!!! :)

Archived