User Notes (again)

danzac

I know that this has been brought up before, but let me once again bring up how much more useful User notes would be if they could be edited in the main window. unless a user has a massive screen or two screens for their computer, it is a constant flip between windows or programs to work on your own text-critical notes or translations. Right now I end up doing my notes and translation with paper and pen (still in the stone age) because flipping windows is such a hassle, and having to command-u for a long series of verses is just not a good workflow. Why not make a user note file templated automatically like this:

Genesis 1:1

Genesis 1:2

Genesis 1:3

Genesis 1:4

if there's no note for the verse, its just a blank line. Then a user can click in the window in the blank line and add their notes to it, without having to "Edit user note" in an entirely different window. Whatever is added to or taken away from the usernotes is automatically saved (no prompting) except the scripture line cannot be erased. This would make UserNotes so much more usable and user-friendly, I'm sure others would agree.

Another solution is for someone to buy me a 30-inch display ;)

We do plan to make it easier in version 7 to add new notes directly from the Edit window, but the radical changes you are proposing are not on the cards for the foreseeable future, sorry!

And would it not be frustrating to have an initial file with over 30,000 blank notes, all of which would appear as red dots, so you would never know if you really had a note on that verse until you clicked it?

very good point. Would Accordance be able to recognize if there was text there and only put a red dot if there was?

I hope the improvements will be sufficient.

Archived