Clean ASV Text Released, just for you, Enoch!

Helen Brown

Version 3 of our American Standard Version is an new etext. Thanks to Rubén Gómez and David Lang we have a new text with poetic formatting and footnotes. We compared this with our previous text and checked all the discrepancies against a printed copy. There were indeed many errors in our older version, but even this new text had some errors. I think we can now claim to have the cleanest etext around.

So, for all of you who use the ASV, not just Enoch who nagged us about it, there is a free upgrade of the text in Check for Updates. However, to get the Notes you must download the modules through Easy Install after logging in to your account.

I am continually amazed by Accordance's customer service. Thank you for taking such good care of your users!

... However, to get the Notes you must download the modules through Easy Install after logging in to your account.

Thank you for the updated text! Concur with Jonathan.

However, when I went to Easy Install, I was not given the option to download the ASV Notes. Instead I was presented with notice of incomplete installations. The one illustrated states 9 - Acc is missing. For Complete Catholic, no file is listed. Running the download and install does nothing. I still get the two sets listed as incomplete installs (and no ASV Note listing).

Hmm... I cannot seem to be able to upload the image. What happened to the choose file button? I am presented with completing installation of ACCS complete CD-ROM and Unlock All Catholic Collection 4, 6.2 MB for each, but nothing will install. This is in addition to no ASV Notes.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

I don't know why it won't download for you. The Starter with Accordance 9 includes the ASV and now that it has a Notes file, it should download just the ASV and ASV Notes for you. Has anyone succeeded in getting this? I don't know why the others are coming up as incomplete, but the window should tell you exactly what is missing.

You may need to click to go to the full editor in order to attach an image here.

• Like 1

You folks at Accordance are absolutely unbelievable! I wouldn't consider the ASV a top priority but it is used in some corners of my tradition. Thank you!

I just now downloaded both the ASV and notes file. I got the ASV text through 'Check for Content Updates" and when I checked 'Easy Install' the notes were available and downloaded successfully.

However, when it checked 'Easy Install' immediately after downloading the ASV Notes, there was another incomplete notice but nothing showed in the 'Missing Files' section. But, I told it download the "missing" files and it downloaded the ASV text again. After doing so, it still shows as an incomplete install of Prem 9 and appears to install ASV again on subsequent tries. However, both the ASV and notes are already installed.

May I, along with so many others, humbly say, "thank you!"

Tony Lawrence

I believe we have fixed these issues now.

Still no ASV Notes file downloading and I also show an update on Easy Install to the ACCS Complete set. It is .7 MB with a status of incomplete and, so far, nothing will make it complete.

Lester: Please try again, as I made a change. but if it still fails, clear your downloads cache or restart the Mac, restart Accordance and try again.

It works now. The ASV Notes appeared under Unlock All Catholic Collection (I unchecked ACCS-Complete). Downloading and Install worked, and my Easy Install is blank (and I have ASV Notes). Thank you very much Helen!

Well Mirabile Dictu. travolgere.

Thanks so very much.

How wonderful.

Even in the unlock all catholic collection.

Or is there an all high-church collection?

I figured there would be some high-churchers involved on the British committee of Oxford & Cambridge who worked on the British forerunner (RV) before the Americans made their refinements.

And you even include the footnotes. I believe that in order to change the text from the KJV, a rule of the committees was that 2/3 had to agree. So a minority opinion might be in the text, & the majority in the footnotes.

Now, the next step for ice cream on the cake!

Drum roll:

include the original ASV cross-references. The original production of the cross-refs was too extensive to be included with the ASV Bible, so they published them in a separate book, which may be hard to find now. Wilbur Smith highly recommended that volume. What is in the ASV as to cross refs is a small sample of the actual research.

Many thanks Helen, & the staff of Accordance. You may now well have the only accurate computer version of the ASV.

• Like 1

Lester: Please try again, as I made a change. but if it still fails, clear your downloads cache or restart the Mac, restart Accordance and try again.

It worked but the secret was unchecking the ACCS Complete (as Michael pointed out above). Following the update of the ASV Notes the ACCS option no longer shows an update.

THANKS for all the hard work!

Wow! Great work, and I'm really impressed!

I am unable to get the ASV notes.

I downloaded the new old ASV with success. But I saw no notes anywhere. Then I read that you have to do it through Easy Install. But when I went there, all I saw was old stuff already installed & everything greyed out.

So then I restarted the Mac. But still there were no notes anywhere. However, I discovered that for some reason I had GNTPAP-C in my library under My Modules in My Groups, which is not where I would want it -- GNTPAP-C is the only thing in that part of the library. But I digress.

I don't know how to clear a downloads cache. As often, the Mac Help has no reference to it.

I took a look in my dock & noticed a Washing Machine program that I had never used. It did have a provision to clean download cache. I ran it. Still no change. I restarted computer; still no change. All the Easy Installs are greyed out old stuff. If I select not to show the old stuff, nothing appears in the list.

How can I get the Notes?

Edited by Enoch

I fixed your account. I think you will now find Accordance 9 listed as incomplete in Easy Install, and you will get the Notes.

You can simply remove GNTPAP-C from My Groups, you had probably dragged it there inadvertently, but that's just a copy, not the module itself.

Thanks for the update, I almost never use the ASV but I appreciate, that it has been done and it was no small task. I do not expect it but would be great if the REB was updated too...

-dan

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Helen. Is your life mostly described as going around with a fly-swatter? At any rate, thanks for the latest swat.

I was able to down load the ASV notes, along with the other items listed. I noticed the following: "NEG79 NR94 RVR09 SCHLA." I have no idea what those abbreviations / acronyms mean. (After figuring out a very precise and useful system of making technical terms with Greek & Latin roots, so that such terms might be internationally understood; civilization has come up with acronyms to utter render technical terminology obtuse. -- Is PLO Palestine Liberation Organization or Permanent Latrine Orderly?)

Is there a master list of Accordance acronyms / product codes somewhere?

Very much thanks again. Someone said you were not Rocket Scientists at this sort of ASV cleansing, but as you did it in wot? less than a month? You must be.