help with SBL Hebrew font

pclafferty

Hi there, I thought I'd followed all your instructions about being able to copy Hebrew text from the mac emulator to my windows platform, but. . .

I've installed (at least I think so) the SBL Hebrew font; it's showing up as a choice in my list of fonts, but when I highlight text I've "copied over" from Accordance emulator (which shows up in English of course), and then apply the SBL font to it, nothing happens.

What have i done wrong?

Rev. Patrick LAfferty

Dallas, TX

Do you have "Export all characters with Unicode format" checked in your Greek & Hebrew preferences? Are you saving as RTF?

If you are exporting to SBL Hebrew you do NOT need to have the export set to Unicode, just select SBL Hebrew in Preferences (Edit menu) Greek & Hebrew. This should also work in the clipboard. If you choose Unicode export you must use a Unicode font rather than SBL Hebrew, and you must save it as RTF and reopen the file in Word.

To clarify, the font called SBL Hebrew is a Unicode font; SPTiberian, the legacy SBL-provided Hebrew font, and which appears in the Accordance Hebrew export preferences, is not.

Ah, you are correct, J.P. Let's clarify:

If you select Unicode export in Accordance, the font selection below is ignored, the Hebrew is converted to Hebrew Unicode characters, will never appear as English, and should appear correctly when SP Hebrew is selected, or any other Unicode font including the free Cardo which is my favourite. If a font does not contain Hebrew, the program will substitute another font such as Lucida Grande (on Mac) or Times New Roman (on Windows).

You may want to strip at least the cantillation marks as they are usually not handled well in Unicode (except by Mellel).

If you do not select Unicode export, the font is left in Yehudit or converted to your selected font. SP Tiberian is one of the options, but in versions 5 and 6 of Accordance this same option appears as SP Hebrew, since originally there was no font of that name, but the mapping was the same for all the SBL Hebrew fonts. We have now changed the name of the option. If you export without Unicode, the characters will appear in English unless the correct font is selected.

For more details see the Accordance Fonts PDF or the Unicode webpage.

thank you J.P. and Helen for your interchange...forgive my simpleton-mind :blink: when it comes to fonts and the like

if I just want to copy some Hebrew text from Accordance in the mac Emulator and paste it into a Word document in MS-Word on my Windows machine, then is it necessary to do any saving to a .rtf file? Can I just copy, click-tab to MS-Word, paste, and then highlight pasted text and replace with SBL Hebrew?

Helen, maybe I misunderstand: should SBL Hebrew be one of the choices in Accordance Hebrew prefs for exporting Hebrew. If it is, I'm not seeing it

thank you for your patience with me!!

Patrick

The emulator clipboard does not support unicode so you cannot export the Hebrew in any other way than RTF, sorry. Just select Unicode, it will ignore the font, save as RTF, and in Word you must set the font yourself.

gotcha...in saving the file in an .rtf format, it worked!

however, the right to left element still isn't complying: I exported as unicode, I stripped the characters of cantillation and vowels, and I made sure the checkbox for right-to-left was checked...

saved the file in .rtf....opened it in Word, and the text was still left to right....

did I miss a step?

Please read our emulator manual for details on how to make the text appear correctly in Word for Windows.

Archived