Switching Translations

Dan Wagner

When I use the control-1,2,3, etc to switch translations in a search window, sometimes it works, and sometimes it just keeps reverting back to Genesis 1:1. Last night it worked, this morning it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong?

When the window is set to Verses with an * so it finds all verses, switching the search text reruns the search automatically, and takes you back to Genesis. If there is any other search argument, the search is not run, the button goes blue, so you see one display text change to that of the search text but you see the same verses in the window, until you press return to run the search.

OK, I will try again:

The control-arrows or numbers combos change the search text in the front window. If you change the search text, the display pane also changes to match, unless there is already a display pane with the new text in it.

The shift-control-arrows or numbers combos change the display text in the selected pane. The same verses as before should be displayed in the new version.

Now, when you change the search text you may or may not automatically rerun the search. Actually, the search does not normally run automatically so the verses you are looking at will not change, though if the display text changes the same verses will show in a different version. The active, blue, search button will indicate that the search has not run, so the displayed verses may not match the conditions in the entry box. For example, you search for Adam in the KJVS and get 30 hits. You switch the search text to ESVS but still see the same 30 verses until you press return or click the search button, when you see that Adam only occurs 21 times in the ESVS.

The one exception, where the new search is run automatically, is when you are displaying the entire text (a search for verses using an asterisk in the entry box). If you change the search text, Accordance goes ahead to "search" and display the new text. This causes your window to jump back to the first verse. The reason for this is that if you switch from a New Testament text to an Old or vise versa, you would otherwise get a blank window but now you immediately see the new text.

In tools, as was mentioned in a recent blog, the search never runs automatically and you always get a blank text pane until you run the search for the new tool.

I hope this helps.

Archived