NIV 1984 - will it vanish?

Rick Conklin

I noticed that Bible Gateway on-line has removed the NIV 1984 edition. I am not a fan of the NIV 2011 edition.

Will Zondervan require Accordance to remove from our libraries the NIV 1984 edition?

thanks

Rick Conklin

Wichita, KS

I can't speak for OakTree Software, but no publisher has that kind of authority. If you legally acquired the 1984 NIV for Accordance, it's yours and can't be taken away.

• Like 3

My understanding is that we will no longer be able to purchase NIV 1984, but there are no plans to remove it from anyone's library. In fact, I don't even think we have that capability.

However, it is possible it will no longer be able to be downloaded on our servers, so users should keep their own backup of it in case of failure. I seem to remember an internal conversation that this would be the case, but if I am wrong someone will certainly correct me. BTW, that means that placing it on your iDevice in case of failure will mean syncing the device to your Mac, not downloading it from your online account.

I do note that the TNIV is no longer available from Accordance servers, so it wouldn't surprise me if the NIV 1984 went that way at some point.

But the TNIV is still on my computer. Zondervan can't require OakTree to remove the 84 NIV or the TNIV from our computers. That would be akin to Zondervan making the bookstore where we bought a physical copy of either of these translations send a manager into our homes and remove the titles from our physical bookshelves.

• Like 2

Both the TNIV and the NIV 84 are still available for download, to registered owners.

Sorry--I wasn't clear. Right--what I meant was, it's not available for download/purchase. I was told by a customer service rep that Accordance couldn't "put it on our servers for download." That must have just meant for download for someone who doesn't already own it.

Which is really too bad, since I own the TNIV in print and in BW, from which I've begun to migrate to Accordance. I'd love to have it in Accordance. I think the only way (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is by buying one of those Zondervan study suites (can't recall the name just now) on CD-ROM... but those are not too cheap.

EDIT: Here's the CD-ROM I was thinking of, still available from Accordance.

Edited by AbramKJ

Alternatively, someone who owns the 1984 NIV and/or the TNIV could transfer their licenses to you. (There was some similar discussion of this topic here: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7191.) However, I know that the Accordance team discourages this practice due to the complexities involved.

Edited by Matthew Burgess

Complexities and expense, to do it requires a payment of $25 (not per resource) and I think it has to be a complete set, i.e., if you got it via a set, the entire set needs to be transferred not just the one item out of it.

-dan