Are there substitutes for these???

Justin Burt

I was wondering if anyone knew if Accordance offered similar programs to the following:

1. ANGT (Analytical Greek New Testament, not the lexicon)

2. Index of Implicit Information

3. Semantic Structural Analyses

Thanks.

PS - Love the new website!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only familiar with the print versions of the SSAs published by WBT/SIL, but that was 20 years ago. I'm not aware that they are in software format, so I'm guessing these are available through the Translators' Workplace, which I'm guessing you have, or have access to, as Translators' Workplace is only made available to those actually engaged in Bible Translation projects. I've never used it or seen it, and I don't know what modules/texts/tools are available with it. I presume it is a Windows program, so it might run on a Mac under emulation.

Your could try using Crossover (has a 30 day demo, doesn't require a Windows install disk) which would allow you to run it simultaneously with Mac OS X and your other Mac apps. However, I doubt if it will work, so don't get your hopes up.

You could beg/steal/borrow VMware Fusion (which does require a Windows install disk and Windows serial/license) and which will allow you to run Translators' Workplace side-by-side with all your Mac apps. This will require a lot of hard drive space as well. It is far more likely to run and run properly this way than using Crossover.

There are other tools to run Windows apps on a Mac but I've only used these two.

Otherwise, try to find a way to export these tools to a PDF document from a Windows PC, or contact WBT/SIL with a request for these tools as texts/PDFs which you could then use on your Mac.

HTH

I do own both Windows XP and VMware Fusion. VMware is a great program, but it takes so much space on my little 80GB HD that I hate to have to run it. All those texts that were mentioned are available in TW 4 from SIL. They will be available on Mac in the near future, but...anyways, I was just wanting them in Accordance. I could try exporting the documents as PDF's, but then I loose some of the functionality that comes with a software program. Trying to create a bunch of User Tools out of them would take more time than I have.

Aside from those texts mentioned above, I have everything else I need as far as software goes, which is why I was hoping Accordance had, if not the same, something close enough that I could just get it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

One workaround would be to install some of the stuff you need (eg VMware's virtual machine) on your wife's MacBook and network them, or run the MB in target disk mode.

This second option would obviously deprive your wife of the use of her MB during his time but it could allow you the extra HD space that perhaps might be available.

If you have the money then you could get an external HD, or upgrade your internal HD & RAM, or buy a whole new MBpro.

In the old days there wasn't one single book that all had all the information that translator's needed, and still today there isn't one single program, at least not for the Mac, at least not yet.

:)

I didn't even think to upgrade my internal HD. That is not a bad idea. Thanks.

Archived