Number of Returns between Quotes in NIV11

Abram K-J

I know that Zondervan has tried to deep six the NIV 1984, but I am curious about something, since it also relates to NIV11 and maybe other versions.

The NIV11 seems to have a lot of spots where there are two full returns between quotations. The only print version I have is a Greek-English diglot; it doesn't have two full returns (just one), but maybe other versions do. It, of course, just means that version takes up a bit more screen space than it otherwise might.

Mostly I'm curious--why the difference in spacing between the 1984 and 2011 versions? Is that a publisher's decision that has to do with the print version or with the etext Accordance received?

See the "Let us eat and drink...." quote at the end of v. 32 in the attached.

Maybe it's because I've been using User Notes and User Tools all afternoon, but I did, without thinking, actually find myself trying to edit the NIV11 like a User Tool to delete the extra return. :)

post-31802-0-08966900-1399148954_thumb.png

Edited by Abram K-J

(P.S. All three texts above are set to Show As: "Paragraphs with Space.")

I agree. The formatting of niv11 is strange with far too many spaces in it. Just my HO

• Like 1

It always feels strange (in the grand scheme of things in life) to complain about something like limited screen space on a computer, but... in this case, those extra returns do make the screen space limited-er.

It's always been a huge challenge to take an etext that is formatted with tabs, returns, and line spaces, and may look more or less like the printed text, and turn it into a module that looks correct whatever formatting is chosen by the user. I suggest you try different formatting such as paragraphs to find what works for you in that text and that passage.

It's a good suggestion, but even set at Paragraphs there are two returns in lots of spots (as in attached). I sent a few of these in via Report Correction a while ago. I hope a future update considers addressing the spacing--I don't think it's really an issue in other versions.

post-31802-0-09507700-1399252609_thumb.jpg

We initially wanted to make it look more like the print edition, but we are limited in how we can control the relative size of line breaks, and this is also affected by leading and display settings. We'll take a look to see what we can possibly do.

Excellent--thank you!

• 1 year later...

Just coming back here to say thanks for this--at least the instances I mentioned before look much better now, however long ago this update was. Thanks!