Amplify Bug

Robb B

I have encountered a bug in 10.1 relating to amplifying from the toolbar to an item within a folder. Essentially, I was reading along in Anchor Dictionary's article on Gideon and came across the term "transhumance." I selected the term and clicked on my new toolbar English Tools button. From the drop-down, I selected my folder for Language Dictionaries and selected Webster's within that folder. Nothing happened. No error, no tool opening. The list of tools simply disappeared. I then tried to amplify to a tool not within a folder and got an error that the item cannot be found (which makes sense in something like Easton). I then tried a few other tools within folders, all with the same result, behaving as if I hadn't clicked anything, the menu disappearing. Evidently, there is some kind of bug when amplifying using the new toolbar items to items nested within folders.

I can confirm. When I used the Amplify icon, however, I got normal behavior even when the tool I was using was within a folder.

Did you find "transhumance?" I didn't know what it meant and found it here -

post-330-0-27945600-1352983424_thumb.png

Good word. My husband's relatives in Norway do this with their goats.

• 4 weeks later...

Transhumanance does not appear in Webster. If you try to look it up directly you do get the "error" message that the word cannot be found. I can replicate the behavior attempting to amplify from the library window. No action or error if the tool does not contain the word (not restricted to transhumance).

Accordance 10.1.1 OS 10.8.2

I can confirm that amplifying to the Library doesn't give an error message, but any amplifying I am doing to a subfolder within English Tools toolbar button works or errors. Rob, do the subfolders fail for legitimate searches, or is it simply not reporting the error?

Joel, you are correct. It now simply fails to report the error.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm. When I used the Amplify icon, however, I got normal behavior even when the tool I was using was within a folder.

I still have trouble in 10.1.2 amplifying to tools in folders if I use the tool buttons (English, Greek, Hebrew, etc.) in the toolbar instead of the amplify button. Even if the search is valid (as confirmed by using the Amplify button instead.)

Edited by JonathanHuber

Hmmm. I have checked now, and for a Hebrew tool neither the amplify button nor the tool button will amplify to a tool in a folder. Neither will the Amplify menu, only the amplify button beside the tool in the Library works. We'll definitely need to look into this one for the next release. Thankfully the Reference tools do work in folders, as we have many many more of them.

Transhumanance does not appear in Webster. If you try to look it up directly you do get the "error" message that the word cannot be found. I can replicate the behavior attempting to amplify from the library window. No action or error if the tool does not contain the word (not restricted to transhumance).

Using Accordance 10.1.2 in Mac OS 10.8.2, I tried amplifying "transhumance" in Webster from the Library window, and now Accordance displays an error message that the word is not found in that tool. The 10.1.2 version did fix that unexpected behavior.