Diagramming

MrT

Hi all

I'm a student at Moore Theological College in Sydney, and I'm fairly new to accordance.

There is something all students regularly do in class, which I'm wondering whether this is possible to do all within Accordance. We are taught to do what we call syntax diagrams in class. Basically, this is just the Greek text, one line per clause, indented to show the syntactic and logical relationships between clauses.

The current work flow for myself and all the other students is to copy the Greek text (either from accordance or elsewhere), paste it into MS Word or Pages, and then construct the diagram in there.

I have attached an example of one such diagram (it's not perfect, but you get the idea). After we construct the diagram, we then often double underline finite verbs, single underline other verb forms, bracket prepositional phrases, parse the verbs, and then scribble notes all over it (which is really easy to do in Adobe Acrobat if you turn the diagram into a PDF).

Ideally I'd like to be able to do all this in Accordance, in some kind of text editor, retaining the ability to get instant morphological details on the words, and also being able to easily highlight finite verbs and other word forms as necessary. I could then save all the diagrams in Accordance, and have them available for future reference.

Is this something that can be done within accordance? This would be an amazingly powerful feature within Accordance, and would no doubt be used by all students and staff here.

Thanks

Matt

1 Cor 1 4-9.pdf

Matt--good news. Diagramming is built into Accordance!

If you don't have the diagramming button on your toolbar, right click on the toolbar, choose "Customize Toolbar" and add the diagramming button wherever you like.

Then highlight the verse or verses you want to diagram and then hit the diagram button that you added to the toolbar. From there, you can move the words and diagramming tools around as you like. You can export or print your diagrams to take with you or use in other applications.

An alternative is to highlight the text and then go to the Amplify menu: Language: Diagram.

You can get more information about diagramming in the Help file here (if that link doesn't work, just look for Diagramming in the Help files).

Also check out Podcast #32, Sentence Diagramming and Podcast #76, Diagramming Improvements.

I hope that helps!

Hi Matt,

I recall a student of Moore explaining how he used Accordance in the exegetical process taught at Moore some years ago. Here is a link to his explanation of how he used Accordance for his exegetical work. He even included screenshots.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2450&hl=moore&do=findComment&comment=9651

Hope that helps.

Darryl

He Matt,

I have Sam's workspaces and tools here if you want to have a look. Or you could catch me at college sometime. I am there most weeks. Usually Wednesdays in the LIbrary. This week it will be Friday I think. I am away on MTD conference.

you can email me on the accordance moore email if you want as well.

Edited by Ken Simpson