Why doesn't 1 Cor 1:1 come up with WBC-NT?

Enoch

In a number of items I have purchase, I have the same problem. I high-light a verse & try to bring up a commentary on it. But the click doesn't take me to a comment on that verse, but either no where (The verse isn't in the product) or a section of the commentary which is not on that verse. Further clicking around on what I went to causes the original text window to change & go away from what I had up, making me have to bring it back up again.

Most recently with WBC-NT I tried to get a comment on 1 Cor 1:1 and got the notice that the verse isn't in the commentary. I thought I had bought the entire commentary set, but OT & NT. Was this set incomplete? Is it now complete for purchase?

There never has been a 1 Corinthians volume released in the Word series. It's been pushed back year after year for as long as I kept up with such. I just checked, and not surprisingly, they're now saying 2013.

I thought that "Full 58-volume set" meant a full set on all 66 books. Certainly I don't claim that Accordance had any bad motive. But when I bought I thought I was buying a full set of commentaries on the whole Bible. I realize that one might infer from 58 that it isn't 66! But that also assumes that one volume would not comment on more than one book. For example, it would not be unreasonable for one volume to cover the minor prophets. And would Philemon have an entire volume for itself? Or 2 & 3 John? Perhaps you would like to make it clear on the ads that the set is not full yet & list which books are or are not covered (whichever is easier to list). Or if such would produce too long a list, you might say: "This set is not complete, for it contains only 27 of the projected 66 volumes." Probably you would not want to use the word "full." However, I would have bought it anyway, & I don't say it wasn't worth the money. No doubt I failed to read qualifiers somewhere. And I am thankful that Accordance made this available as it is.

But the specific "bug" in the program (at least it bugs me - LOL) is that after I am sent to a part of the commentary not on that verse & do some poking on that window, it suddenly erases my original Bible text window & puts something else there, like short Bible quotation, making me have to fetch up my original text window again.

I don't know if anything can be done so that with all the apparent glorious commentaries in the system, one may no longer have a hard time bringing up an intelligent interpretation of a verse one does not understand. One may poke on this item in the library & that, with quite uncertain results largely due to one not remembering which commentary set has which books in it. Maybe one could somehow click on a verse & get a menu like:
"Serious interpretive discussions of Hezekiah 9:6 are likely to be found in . . .

• ." The list would not include commentary sets that lack the book. Or there might be a symbol on the screen to click with current verse displayed which would yield such a result.

Since I wrote the above I did make my own tabulation, a chart of what commentary sets have what volumes & what they lack.

Incidentally, Keil & Delitzsch approaches this for the OT. If Accordance had Alford's Greek Testament, it would approach this for the NT.

Edited by Enoch

Enoch, the ad says "full" because it represents the full print set of 58 Word Commentary volumes, which was all the print set had. There is a note below the ad mentioning that a few print editions have been released and those will be added to the Accordance edition. To me it does not seem misleading as you infer. For viewing the commentary, my preferred way is to let it scroll in sync with the bible text from within the same workspace tab, just by opening it from the drop down menu.

Well, I am thankful that the sets are provided by Accordance.

Edited by Enoch

• 1 year later...

When the missing parts of the commentary become available, will they be included in an update? The reason I'm asking is because I see that volume 37 was published in 2011 but I haven't seen an update yet. Or do I need to purchase that separately somehow?

The additional volumes will be offered as paid updates when they become available. These things typically take a long time.

This is an old thread, I know, but for ad and Web copy (and elsewhere) "series" should be used until a given commentary covers the entire corpus of the Bible, and then (and only then) it is a "set." Enoch's post is from long ago, but it is worth noting.

When the missing parts of the commentary become available, will they be included in an update? The reason I'm asking is because I see that volume 37 was published in 2011 but I haven't seen an update yet. Or do I need to purchase that separately somehow?

We've had a couple requests for this volume (Acts), but to my knowledge it still has not been published. If you check Thomas Nelson's site or Amazon, it is not listed. The only place that says it is published in 2011 is Logos. But, I do not know where they are getting that information. And they only list it as a pre-order; they do not have it available either.

Edited by Rick Bennett