Paste and Match Style in User Notes

Levi Durfey

I think a beneficial feature for the User Notes would be to add "Paste and Match Style," like Pages has. I often will paste quotes from web pages into my Bible Study Notes and then I have to select the text, change the font, and then change the font size. A "paste and match style" function would eliminate those three steps.

We do have the Copy Style and Paste Style commands (in the Copy As submenu) which can be used on any selection, not just when pasting. You do not need to go through all those steps.

So, as Helen said, the first time you paste something, you can just select your standard formatted text in the tool somewhere, press ⌘[ and then highlight the newly pasted text and press ⌘]. Once you have the style copied, you just need to highlight and paste the style onto it each time.

There are also several free tools for auto-magically stripping the formatting info from clipboard text at the touch of a key combination or some such. Several options there... googling will turn up many.

Thanks for the tip, but it still doesn't beat the Paste and Match Style command that is found in many mac programs (Pages, Mail, MacJournal, Text Edit, Numbers, Keynote). You still have to highlight and press another key combination to apply the style (which you have to copy beforehand). Paste and Match Style is copy and paste and you're done.

This is a feature request, please. I use it so much it other programs like Pages, it's frustrating to have to switch methods when I come to Accordance.

I notice now that you are copying from webpages. Maybe I'm missing something, but Paste and Match Style in Mail or Text Edit is not giving me any styles from webpages at all. So, I am not sure if we can implement this even if we want to.

I notice now that you are copying from webpages. Maybe I'm missing something, but Paste and Match Style in Mail or Text Edit is not giving me any styles from webpages at all. So, I am not sure if we can implement this even if we want to.

It's not supposed to give you the style from the webpage, it's supposed to match the style currently in the document you are pasting into.

Try comparing the two: paste and paste and match style. In textedit, paste will leave all the formating intact. paste and match style will force it to be whatever is the style where your cursor is in your textedit document (rtf, not txt). So, if you are using Helvetica, 14 points, which is what my User Notes are, it will make it Helvetica, 14 points, in one fell swoop.

Evidently, you don't use this function much, but if you did, I'm sure you would see how simple and clean it is. When I am writing a sermon (in Pages), almost every paste I make (from a pdf, from the web, or from accordance itself) is done with Paste and Match Style.

Anyway, it's my favorite feature request for Accordance. Thanks for listening and trying to help.

Archived