display text size & print text size

Ken Han

If I understand correctly, the size set for screen display is also the size at which the text will print. I usually use large fonts so they're easier to read on the computer screen, but would prefer something smaller when I print the text. Is there a way to set up the font sizes to be different for display and print? If not, can such feature be added? Thanks.

Ken Han

I agree... this would be very convenient, as I manually resize both Hebrew and English frequently before printing. There is some precedent: other applications I know that keep separate prefs for printing face and size/scale are Microsoft Entourage, Bare Bones' BBEdit and TextWrangler, and SyncRO's oXygen XML Editor (a Java app).

It would be rather complicated to have an entirely separate set of preferences for printing each module. Is it really so hard to have to click the small A button to resize the text?

Instead of per-module prefs, it would be far more useful (to me, anyways) to have universal font size prefs for printing (and copying to the clipboard, now that I think about it!) three types of scripts: Roman (including transliteration), Greek (e.g., including Sylvanus), and Hebrew (esp. Hebrew, since it is typically twenty to thirty per cent shorter when mixed with Roman text at the same point size). As it is, for printing purposes, I "eye" the onscreen Hebrew font size, typically by shrinking it all the way and then enlarging the font one or two clicks before printing, and even then I'm not sure what I'm going to get until I collect my printout.

I suspect that as displays get larger (density should be less relevant), that this disjoint between what is readable on-screen for working with texts and what is appropriate for printing or pasting into word processors will only become more pronounced. The alternative approach I've seen for tackling this issue is some sort of default zoom (like some web browsers and word processors offer, so that, e.g. 12 pt text appears readable on larger screens), but that seems way more complicated to calculate for the user and is less intuitive.

It's easier for me to think: I type most of the time in 12 pt roman text in Mellel, and I would like all non-Hebrew text from Accordance to paste in as 12 pt (regardless of the size I use when working in Accordance), and Hebrew to paste in at 14 pt. But I might want to print Hebrew at 16 pt most of the time for greater readability. Just one scenario to illustrate how a set of universal prefs would help smooth workflow.

Or simply adding zooming feature to the display windows would work just as well? And, no, it's not that difficult to manually change the sizes. But if it's done repeatedly enough it does become a bit of a burden. I'm also seeing the beginning stages of carpel turnel syndrom in my wrists. So I'm always looking for ways to reduce the number of mouse-clicks or keyboard use wherever I can.

Thanks for listening!

There is already a zooming feature on just about every window: the A A buttons!

However, we will consider adding the font sizes default to the Print Settings sometime in version 7.

Archived