Dr. James White Uses Accordance!

tony10000

Yes, He sure does. A few years ago seeing him using it prompted me to check it out.

He refers to Accordance fairly often in his Dividing Line program.

He refers to Accordance fairly often in his Dividing Line program.

Yep...that is where I got my first look at Accordance...I think he must bring Oak Tree a lot of customers!

It is cool to see what his layout looks like!

Edited by tony10000

Yep...that is where I got my first look at Accordance...I think he must bring Oak Tree a lot of customers!

It is cool to see what his layout looks like!

I love watching him work with Accordance.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow, nice to log in and see one of my favorite Christian apologist's name on the front page. :)

I can't even remember anymore how I first leaned about Accordance. I think I remember contacting someone who was working with the texts who referred me to Oak Tree. It was in the mid-90s so might have been 1.x or 2.x area.

If I remember correctly though, James used to not be a Mac user and I got Accordance on 3.5" floppies, so I might just have him beat there in terms of Accordance longevity. Now, if I only knew how to use it 1/100th as well. :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I'm a Dr. James White fan. I've watched a bunch of his YouTube videos and read both 1st and 2nd editions of his KJV Only book – the first one without knowing any Greek, the 2nd after four years of Greek. I have added what I learned to my User Notes (after checking it all out in the apparatus - I am extremely Berean). The material is well presented. The information is explained so well that those who know no original language can understand it. I appreciate not only his diligence and scholarship, but also his tone – never hateful or combative. He doesn't call anyone any names.

Thanks for posting this. I'm a Dr. James White fan. I've watched a bunch of his YouTube videos and read both 1st and 2nd editions of his KJV Only book – the first one without knowing any Greek, the 2nd after four years of Greek. I have added what I learned to my User Notes (after checking it all out in the apparatus - I am extremely Berean). The material is well presented. The information is explained so well that those who know no original language can understand it. I appreciate not only his diligence and scholarship, but also his tone – never hateful or combative. He doesn't call anyone any names.

Amen. The amount of patience that man has is a tremendous work of grace! I wish I had as much.

We can all learn from Dr. White and his diligent study of the Word of God. It would be really cool if the folks at Oak Tree could get him to do a video on the way that he uses Accordance in his studies.

We can all learn from Dr. White and his diligent study of the Word of God. It would be really cool if the folks at Oak Tree could get him to do a video on the way that he uses Accordance in his studies.

As busy as he is, I doubt he will be able. I doubt they will ever ask either :(

Can anyone tell me the exact title of his KJV only book. I would like to read it and perhaps I can get it digitally on Kindle or ibooks.

Bob

"The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations?" It is only available in paperback on Amazon.

If you have an interest, he has plenty of videos on You Tube on the subject such as these:

Edited by tony10000

Can anyone tell me the exact title of his KJV only book. I would like to read it and perhaps I can get it digitally on Kindle or ibooks.

Bob

The concept of KJV-only was recently discussed here. If you're interested in more information on this subject, I'd recommend D. A. Carson's ​The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism. It's available as a paperback and a Kindle book here.

The concept of KJV-only was recently discussed here. If you're interested in more information on this subject, I'd recommend D. A. Carson's ​The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism. It's available as a paperback and a Kindle book here.

Agreed Matthew, a great little book on the subject.

Thank you very much. Looking forward to viewing the videos and purchasing both books.

Bob

Matthew & Ken – I agree that Dr. Carson's book is excellent. I read it nearly 20 years ago, though I think it was published much earlier. Reading both authors gives us a more complete understanding. Dr. White's books have many more examples, however, and I think that is important, too.

In that first video with James, I wanted to grab the Apparatus window for the NA28 and drag/drop it to the right for him to switch it out with the NA27 :) I guess he didn't know he could do that so quickly on the fly. Great video as usual.

Edited by Mark Nigro

In that first video with James, I wanted to grab the Apparatus window for the NA28 and drag/drop it to the right for him to switch it out with the NA27 :) I guess he didn't know he could do that so quickly on the fly. Great video as usual.

Haha. Lets tell him :P

My thoughts exactly, Mark.

I would also like to read a good explanation for the inclusion of οὐχ when it never occurs in any Greek mss, only in a version(s). I'm going to do some digging and see what I can find.

EDIT: Word NTC has a good discussion.

Edited by Julie Falling

Matthew & Ken – I agree that Dr. Carson's book is excellent. I read it nearly 20 years ago, though I think it was published much earlier. Reading both authors gives us a more complete understanding. Dr. White's books have many more examples, however, and I think that is important, too.

Written 1979 Julie. So 35 years ago, but in IMHO, very accessible and concise. Haven’t read Dr White’s book. I am all for reading short books! (Nothing agains Dr White!!!)

Written 1979 Julie. So 35 years ago, but in IMHO, very accessible and concise. Haven’t read Dr White’s book. I am all for reading short books! (Nothing agains Dr White!!!)

If you want concise, Dr. White might not be your best choice. If you want a more thorough handling of the subject, Dr. White is the way to go. The argument the two men present is the same, and it is so very sound. While I regret that the issue even has to be addressed, I am very grateful to these men for doing it.

Dr. White makes the point that this is primarily a problem with for English-speakers. Those whose native language is other than English really don't need get involved in the issue.

Edited by Julie Falling

• 7 years later...