User Notes for all modules

R. Mansfield

I looked for the most appropriate thread already started for this comment below, and I guess this is it. At the very least, it was interesting to read through some of these posts again.

Lately, as I've used the iPad more and more, I've noticed how often I will add personal notes to books I have in Amazon's Kindle app (Apple's iBooks app doesn't allow this). A moment ago, I was using Accordance on my MacBook Pro and found myself wanting to add my own notes to a (non-biblical text) tool. I've been doing this so much on the iPad recently, it took me a second to remember that I couldn't do it in Accordance. I often write notes in the margins of my books and suddenly (after using Accordance for 12 years), it strikes me odd that I can't add my own notes to Accordance modules except biblical texts.

So, is this possibly on the list for version nine?

I often write notes in the margins of my books and suddenly (after using Accordance for 12 years), it strikes me odd that I can't add my own notes to Accordance modules except biblical texts.

This has been one of the core frustrations I've had with accordance tools. It would be fantastic to see notes on anything I'd read in accordance (yes, even user imported modules!)

This has been one of the core frustrations I've had with accordance tools. It would be fantastic to see notes on anything I'd read in accordance (yes, even user imported modules!)

Amen. I am a marginalia factory as a rule, but particularly in doing research I found myself wanting to comment on sections rather than merely highlighting.

The ability to make (and have notes) for ALL accordance modules would be advantageous. I'm always reading with a pencil, jotting notes and marking text in ALL of my books.

Also, it would be nice if I could hover over the red dot (that symbolizes a note) and have it show MY note in the instant details.

• 5 weeks later...

I also requested this feature long time ago. Hope I will see it in Accordance 9.

Kit

• 2 weeks later...

I was glad to see highlighting implemented in the tools, but I too would love to be able to make my own Notes for them! (Highlighting in User Tools and User Notes would be nice, too.)

• 7 months later...

I just thought I would bump up this request once again and clarify that I would like to be able to add links to other books.

I seem to remember (well over a year ago?) that there was discussion about replacing the current User Note functionality in some future release of Accordance; is there a light at the end of the tunnel yet? (or maybe even some kind of confirmation that there's some kind of design specification being produced?)

I just thought I would bump up this request once again and clarify that I would like to be able to add links to other books.

I feel this would be a valuable addition to Accordance.

BUMP -- I too would love this feature. The ability to take notes on any module would be super-awesome!

I'm in! This would be a great feature!

Bob

Since I started this thread almost a year ago, I thought I'd chime in again.

In the last year, I've all but stopped buying physical books (I got one at Christmas because it wasn't on any ebook platform). At one time Accordance was only a reference tool for me--something for doing research in biblical texts and looking things up in commentaries and other reference books. It was always convenient for carrying scores of titles on my laptop wherever I went. But for years, I had physical copies of the same books (Anchor Bible Dictionary, BDAG, Word Commentaries, etc.).

Late last year, I cleared out over 200 physical books that I have duplicated in Accordance and other platforms. They're gone. Now it's more important than ever that I can take notes on these titles. I can create workarounds in the interim, but that's all they are--workarounds.

Now, I realize that there is a technical challenge that has to be addressed somehow. I've had two Kindle books that have been updated (including the HCSB text) in which a warning email came first from Amazon stating that if I updated the text, I'd lose all my notes and highlights. This is not a good thing.

Accordance's current implementation of personal notes is related to versified texts. So updating a module with corrections formatting changes, don't affect my notes because they are tied to the verse reference and not the title.

So, I realize that adding the ability to include notes on non-versified texts is a greater challenge, in regard to the idea of occasional updates to the module. However, I do feel that it is something that has to be added at some point. I've said in the last few months that I don't care if I never buy a physical book again, but in doing that, I don't want to lose any of the functionality I had with physical books. If I can't add my notes, I've lost something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this up yet again in hopes of some kind of official response on the roadmap for notes on texts and tools!

• 2 months later...

I was just reading another Accordance resource and wish I could add notes and bookmark my place. I want to add my name to the list requesting Notes on all Accordance Modules and User added Text/Tools.

I really like your idea Rick of having the Notes display in the Instant Details area (Red Dot rollover). I wish there was some way to survey all users on the suggestions so Accordance could prioritize and direct their resources or an Accordance User Group.

The ability to make (and have notes) for ALL accordance modules would be advantageous. I'm always reading with a pencil, jotting notes and marking text in ALL of my books.

Also, it would be nice if I could hover over the red dot (that symbolizes a note) and have it show MY note in the instant details.

Add my name to the list for this feature, would be great

I also would like this feature! Thanks for a great program!

Bob

Archived