User Tools import, Scripture reference glitches

thechrisroberts

Fiddling more with User Tools to look at adding an Accordance export feature to Enscriptured. Going to stick pretty close to the recognize tags listed in the Accordance html import help page.

Wanting to make sure I'm not missing something with User Tools. The help page for html import says no special markup is required as Accordance will automatically recognize references, but I'm finding that it's pretty spotty. Namely, the following:

<html>
<head>
 <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; ">
 <title>My Bible reading plan</title>
</head>

<body>
 <h2>Introduction</h2>

<div align="center">
  This is only a test. Had this been an actual reading plan, it would have been much cooler.<br />
 </div><br />

<div align="left">
  <b>Day 1</b>: Genesis 1:1-2:10; Psalm 1:1-2:5; Matthew 1:1-3:4; Acts 1:1-4:1<br />
  <b>Day 2</b>: Genesis 1:1-2:10; Psalm 1:1-2:5; Matthew 1:1-3:4; Acts 1:1-4:1<br />
 </div><br />
</body>
</html>

Scripture references are straightforward enough but the import tool is assuming any number after the hyphen is a verse; it doesn't take into account the possibility that we're going from a chapter:verse to a chapter:verse. Thus when I import, I get the following:

post-31525-0-22569700-1348121643_thumb.png

Whatever pattern matching is being used to import html, it needs to be expanded a bit, unless I am missing something.

Is there a way to specifically tag Scripture references in the html or some other workaround for this so that automatically exported html files can be ready for import into Accordance without users having to do any extra formatting work?

Don't know if this will work (I suspect not but...). Have you tried something like Gen 1:1-Gen 2:10

Don't know if this will work (I suspect not but...). Have you tried something like Gen 1:1-Gen 2:10

Yes, and it picks that up as Genesis 1:1-2, Genesis 2:10. It wants to find a number after the - and it expects that number to be a verse.

This might be silly, but I think it will recognize this format with parenthesis: (Gen. 1:1-2:10)

This might be silly, but I think it will recognize this format with parenthesis: (Gen. 1:1-2:10)

Bob,

Unfortunately, still no go. Produces the same result for me.

Any word from Accordance on this? Something like this is pretty minor, wouldn't take much to fix.

This is a known issue that we haven't tackled yet. It's not so easy to have Accordance automatically recognize varied forms of a verse reference on import. Is it that much hassle to fix the references manually after import?

The other option is to just split the references Gen 1:1-31; Gen 2:1-10 for a bible reading plan that would work OK

It's not so easy to have Accordance automatically recognize varied forms of a verse reference on import. Is it that much hassle to fix the references manually after import?

I'm familiar with the challenge, having done pattern matching of this sort for two different situations (Enscriptured, and a WordPress plugin (the ESV Plugin) to pull Scripture references from WordPress posts), which is why I feel comfortable saying it wouldn't - or at least shouldn't - take much to fix.

As for the hassle, what I have in mind is something that makes it easy for users to create reading plans. We're talking plans that would typically have 365 days worth of readings with multiple passages per day. Manually fixing references in a resource like that would indeed be a bit of a hassle. :) Formatting the references on a single resource could take longer than it should take to fix the pattern recognition. But the bug is known, my request for a fix is made, so I'll leave it at that.

Steve,

Your suggestion is a viableish option, though it requires some gimmicky behavior to get around a software glitch.

• 3 weeks later...