9.5.4 Released

Helen Brown

We take bugs seriously! This update corrects many minor errors we or our users have noticed since the significant release of 9.5.3 (which I failed to announce on this Forum). Every bug report is followed up.

This is a free upgrade to all Accordance 9 users, so get your download now via Check for Updates, or download it directly here.

The most important fix was the impossibility of typing a reference with a space in a More Options field of the Tools tab, since the space bar was paging the text below, a new feature in 9.5.3. This error let us remind users of an often overlooked option:

There is a shortcut in the Preferences:General which adds the reference to More Options whenever you amplify from a word in the text. You can override it either way by pressing shift.

This neat option highlights the relevant reference in the article in the tool if there is one, but still finds the article even if the verse is not cited.

A reminder to those who downloaded the beta version: this will not show up in Check for Updates. Please download the installer from the website.

I tested the downloads and they do work for me, so I'm afraid it's your internet over there!

I happen to be at a place where I can download this, but for some reason after three times it says it is corrupted. It could be my internet connection here in Africa, but if anyone else has this problem, it might be something that applies to everyone.

Donovan, the download and install worked for me as well.

Sometimes downloading the .dmg with a different browser helps, so maybe that will resolve the corrupt issue.

I'm having a little trouble here in Nicaragua from my home connection, but I'll try in the morning from the office. I have a little more bandwidth there.

I installed the 9.5.4 update by using check for updates. Subsequently, when I opened Accordance, I got an error message:

"The name 'Sample Tool' cannot be used, since it is used by an existing file with a different type. Please use a different file name or delete the existing file."

When I dismiss the message, nothing appears. My default startup session does not load.

I have not created or modified a tool by any name. I tried downloaded the full .dmg file and reinstalling the update, but I get the same error message, and the same missing startup session.

HELP!

Problem solved by deleting Sample Tool in user/Documents/Accordance Files/User Tools folder

Are there any plans for changing the way Accordance updates? It seems a little counter intuitive to run a full .dmg file to update the program.

I am not a programmer, so take this with a grain of salt.

We definitely have plans to significantly simplify the upgrade process, don't worry!

No problems this morning here in sunny Managua, Nicaragua. Yesterday my internet connection was timing out so that was probably the source of the dificulty.

Perhaps when the updates are simplified it will no longer replace any custom icons people are using with Holy Spirit/Genie in a bottle logo? It's not a big deal but it seems like replacing the icon every time only affects two types of people: 1. People who have lost the original icon (I would assume this is a pretty small subset but it would be really useful to them.) 2. People who have replaced the original icon (This may not be very many people but it there are probably more people who replaced their icon than there are people who are waiting for an update to fix their broken icon---and this change just makes more hassle for them). I get that the nature of the change (an actual new Accordance.app file being placed in my Applications folder) requires this now but later (with an in-app update mechanism) it will be up to the programmers to revert the icon with each update or to leave it alone.

Also, thanks for the fix! I was actually on my way to see if anyone else was experiencing this bug when I saw that the update fixed it. It's pretty awesome that you guys stay on top of this stuff the way you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the 9.5.6 update and kept my custom icon! Thanks!

<edit: 3.4.12>

Nevermind. The Holy Spirit is a genie in a bottle logo came back after I opened the program a couple of times. weird.

Archived