BHS Parsing on iOS 5 GM

jstein360

Hello, I just installed the iOS 5 GM onto my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, and holding down a word on the BHS text to parse now crashes the app. It's a bummer.

Hello, I just installed the iOS 5 GM onto my iPhone 4 and iPad 2, and holding down a word on the BHS text to parse now crashes the app. It's a bummer.

Thanks for the report. I've seen a few crash logs with this issue in the early iOS5 betas but haven't been able to track it down yet. Now that the GM developer tools are ready I'm hopeful we can get it fixed quickly for the official iOS5 release next week.

Scott

I'm assuming your viewing the instant details for words in the BHS-W4 module. Is there a particular word or words that you are seeing the crash for? So far, I can't get it to crash in the iOS simulator (running iOS5). I'm installing the iOS5 GM seed on one of my devices now to see if it is a device specific crash.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

It's actually not just the BHS. Any word in any translation makes the app crash. As soon as any word is highlighted in the grayish color, it freezes the app; about ten seconds later the app quits out.

It's actually not just the BHS. Any word in any translation makes the app crash. As soon as any word is highlighted in the grayish color, it freezes the app; about ten seconds later the app quits out.

I can reproduce it. There appears to be a problem rendering Hebrew using the Cardo font when running under iOS5. So this issue would also affect the instant details view in tagged texts when displaying information about words in the Old Testament. Unfortunately the iOS supplied Arial Hebrew font doesn't cover the full range of Unicode code points we need.

Thanks again for the report.

Scott

Just downloaded the update. It works perfectly again. Thanks for the quick update!

Love and Peace,

Jonathan

I can reproduce it. There appears to be a problem rendering Hebrew using the Cardo font when running under iOS5. So this issue would also affect the instant details view in tagged texts when displaying information about words in the Old Testament. Unfortunately the iOS supplied Arial Hebrew font doesn't cover the full range of Unicode code points we need.

Thanks again for the report.

Scott

Just downloaded the update. It works perfectly again. Thanks for the quick update!

Love and Peace,

Jonathan

You're welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Scott,

I believe that I'm having the exact same issue in my own app which uses the Cardo font. iOS 5 crashes when rendering Hebrew vowels (but the simulator works fine). Could you please give me a tip on how you fixed the issue in Accordance?

Thanks,

Rob

G'day Scott,

I believe that I'm having the exact same issue in my own app which uses the Cardo font. iOS 5 crashes when rendering Hebrew vowels (but the simulator works fine). Could you please give me a tip on how you fixed the issue in Accordance?

Thanks,

Rob

Changed the font to Ezra SIL. By the way you should also file a bug with Apple so that we can raise the priority of eventually getting it fixed.

Scott

Changed the font to Ezra SIL. By the way you should also file a bug with Apple so that we can raise the priority of eventually getting it fixed.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I changed mine to Ezra and it's working fine.

I'll submit a bug report to Apple.

Thanks for your time.

Rob

Archived