List and Count original language words translated as an English Word

bradk

I thought I had seen how to do this is some training Video I watched but I can't find it and I haven't been able to figure it out for myself.

The idea is simple. I hope I can keep the description simple. I'm interested in looking at the original languages words behind a single English word. To use a trivial example, in the NT I'm aware of two Greek words translated as Love: Agape and Phileos. I would like to search a testament by a word and then have Accordance list all the distinct words translated as that word with a count of the number of times each original language word is so translated. I used to do this with Young's Concordance which I found very handy. Also Vines Commentary on the Words of the NT which under an English word would list the various Greek words translated as that and then had information about the breadth of meaning of that Greek word as well as information about certain occurrences.

Thanks,

Bruce

Any of the key number texts will let you do this easily: KJVS, NKJVS (soon to be completed for the OT), NAS95S, NRSVS or NIV-G/K. There are many ways to search for the key numbers which represent and display the original word: the easiest is to select a word in the English text, and right-clik to see the contextual menu, and choose to search for key number. In that second window with the results you can click details to get an analysis and count of the resulting English words.

You can go to the Help menu, the podcasts, or the video tutorials, and learn about key number or Strong's number searches, and all the other ways you can use these special texts.

Archived