Enhance Toolbar customization

Sean R.

I like Accordance 10, but I sorely miss the Resource Palette (after only one day). I particularly liked the ease with which I could access my modules from the Resource Palette, especially when amplifying. Perhaps largely due to habit and the pain of incorporating changes into a workflow honed over several years, I find amplifying via the Amplify icon on the Toolbar a touch laborious. Rather than an instantly recognized icon to represent each module category, it mirrors the Amplify menu. Of course, the new Library pane is great—but it seems a touch laborious to have to click the disclosure triangle next to each category as I drill down to the desired resource.

Okay, here's what I'm requesting. Enhance the customization of the Toolbar to include as options icons for each module category: English Texts, Greek Texts, Hebrew Texts, English Tools, Greek Tools, Hebrew Tools, Reference Tools, General Tools, etc. (User Tools and User Notes are nicely already options). This would allow me to customize the Toolbar to approximate the Resource Palette and preserve my existing workflow, usage habits, etc.

Would this be useful to other users? If so, perhaps the developers would consider incorporating this into a future update.

Edited by Sean R.

There is an amplify icon in the new Library window that allows you to select text or verse and then click the amplify icon next to the resource you want to amplify to. It works similarly to the resource palette. Dr J's video briefly covers it. Does this help?

Hey Sean,

jfidel brings up a good suggestion. I also found amplifying to be a bit of an adjustment, but now I really enjoy amplifying from the Library. Here is how it works.

1) Select the text I would like to amplify.

2) Search my Library for the module I would like to amplify to

3) Hover over the resource and click the amplify icon.

post-29513-0-79803400-1345514144_thumb.png

Give this a shot and see what you think. I also found amplifying to be a bit of an adjustment at first, but this method works really well for me.

Edited by Darin Allen

Good suggestions both—thanks! The hassle of drilling down is solved by searching for the resource in the Library. Yet I still would like to be able to customize the Toolbar a bit more. Overall, however, I find Accordance 10 elegant, intuitive, and quite polished. The development team did a great job.

Like you said Sean, it is very much a workflow habit. I know what you mean, but I also see the logic in this new design and foresee myself quickly adjusting to the new amplify approach via the tool bar. It's just a tad more navigating through a sub menu or two as apposed to selecting the old designated icon from the former resource palette. A tradeoff for the much improved UI and more space allocated for texts and panes.

Now, I may be wrong but I think you may also be missing the ability to use the new amplify menu to simply open a resource (as we do in the library) even when not amplifying? Now that could be useful...so perhaps that is an option for future releases (to enable the new amplify icon/menu on the tool bar to open resources in addition to amplifying). Right now, without text selected somewhere in a pane, the amplify menus are greyed out and will not open a resource. Since I don't usually keep the library pane open (for screen real estate) when I'm portable, I doubt I'll use it as much for amplification.

Otherwise, I absolutely love all the changes in Accordance 10 and, knowing them, we can expect more exciting developments coming down the pipe.

Edited by Mark Nigro

The New button can be added to parallel the amplify button, and is a lot less confusing that the dual purpose Resource palette.

Simple and done! Now why didn't we think of that? Thank you Helen...

I too really like Accordance 10 and think everyone did a great job, but I will have to admit that after an evening of use I've had the same thoughts as Sean. It seems, at least to me anyway, that amplifying has taken a step backward (in two directions) in regards to workflow.

1. Traces of portions of what used to be the resource pallet can now be found as a hierarchical "sticky menu" which has to be accessed via a sort of "universal" Amplify icon, requiring a click just to access. This requires another step.

2. The old resource pallet can also be seen (at least conceptually) in the Library window as Darren pointed out. But this has the net effect of taking up over two times the width of the previous (vertical orientation) resource pallet, which in addition now requires drilling down by mouse clicks, or having to type the module name. Requires more space and more steps.

Though it certainly does seem to fit nicely into a new workflow for others (which is great!), it would be nice to have individual updated "legacy icons" for the rest of us (with the option to suppress the "sticky menu" for buttons again).

Hope this doesn't come across as overly critical, the update is great and appreciated.

Thanks for the toolbar consideration!

You can also amplify from a folder within the Library. Give this a shot if you haven't already.

post-29910-0-78776200-1345564350_thumb.png

You might also try setting the library to be a popover (to open the library regularly hold shift while clicking the Library Icon in the toolbar). With the Library set as popover, you can quickly amplify using the ⌘⌥1 keyboard short cut. Then you can amplify to your desired resource.

Scott, thanks for that tip. I haven't noticed that you can amplify from a folder. This make the Library window function just as the old resource pallet did. Thanks! But it still has the problem of taking up over two times the width of the previous resource pallet when open.

Which leads me to James, thanks for your tip as well. I didn't know the Library could be a popover. In regards to the keyboard shortcut, I have been utilizing it, but coming from Accordance 9, that workflow almost seems analogous to having to type opt-cmd-2 in Accordance 9 to bring up the resource pallet in order to amplify, requiring another step.

Thanks to you both for the input. Hope the "legacy icons" will still be considered.

Darryl,

The "New" button that can be added to the customizable toolbar, as suggested by Helen, works great. It is essentially the old "Resource Palette" minus the icons. I have it right next to the amplify icon. See my screen shot....

post-29340-0-43804700-1345565742_thumb.jpg

Being able to customize the toolbar is yet another way that Accordance allows you to make it your own.

Here's how I've got mine set up.

post-29910-0-28762700-1345576221_thumb.png

Scott, thanks for that tip. I haven't noticed that you can amplify from a folder. This make the Library window function just as the old resource pallet did. Thanks! But it still has the problem of taking up over two times the width of the previous resource pallet when open.

Glad I could help. You can also resize the library window to make it a bit smaller than the default width.

Which leads me to James, thanks for your tip as well. I didn't know the Library could be a popover. In regards to the keyboard shortcut, I have been utilizing it, but coming from Accordance 9, that workflow almost seems analogous to having to type opt-cmd-2 in Accordance 9 to bring up the resource pallet in order to amplify, requiring another step.

Thanks to you both for the input. Hope the "legacy icons" will still be considered.

You can also set the library to "Always show Library as a popover" within the Appearance section of preferences.

Thanks Mark and Scott for posting the screenshots. I have already done something similar by grouping the Amplify, Search Selection, and Workspaces icons together for amplification.

Regarding the width, the most narrow I am able to make the library window is over two and a half times the width of the previous resource pallet. And the pop over is just another step to access what was previously immediately accessible.

Like I stated earlier, I think it's great that the new workflow is working nicely for some (not that it's working horribly for me at all), I just wanted to add a request for another option.

Thanks for the consideration.

Darryl, are you saying you'd like the option to be able to add the old "tool category" icons to the new Toolbar, along with the hierarchical menus clicking and hold them initiated? Personally, I'd think that would be a bit easier to implement than resurrecting the old Resource palette, but my opinion isn't the only one around here...

Hi Dr. J,

I hope it didn't come across as me trying to resurrect the old resource pallet! That's definitely not what was being requested. Basically, just as Sean requested and like you just clearly stated: "the option to be able to add the old 'tool category' icons to the new Toolbar" (of course, updated to match the new icons).

Thanks for clarifying if I came across as voting for something else! R.I.P. Old Resource Pallet :)

Darryl,

I actually wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree with Sean and Darryl. After using the new system, there is much to like, but I feel like I'm going backward drilling down through a massively long heirarchal menu to find what used to be readily accessible. Frankly, the entire library built that way at the left side is the same paridigm that all the Windows programs have used for years and that always seemed wrong to me. Is this because we're getting ready to be Windows compatible?

It would be great to have the option to add icons to the the toolbar. In fact, I'd like even greater subdivision than existed before. For example, I'd like an icon for study bibles and maybe one for dictionaries. Once you've accumulated a lot of resources, its really cumbersome navigating one massively long continuous list.

I am also not that impressed with the appearance of the toolbar. It isn't that important, but I just don't think it looks nice. How about some color? Whats with the new trend at Apple and elsewhere to style everything after iOS?

• 2 weeks later...

Having now used Accordance 10 for a couple weeks, my initial desire for a more robust toolbar has increased. I'd like to have the option to put on the toolbar all the icons (with full functionality) that are on the resource palette in version 9. The amplify icon is nice, but it doesn't provide the same ease of use and functionality that existed on the resource palette. And the new library pane is great, but it also requires a significant change in workflow and more clicks/time to access resources, etc.

Simply including the resource palette icons as options for adding to the toolbar would take care of my only gripe with version 10.

Edited by Sean R.

I would like to add my voice for the icons in the resource palette to be added to the Toolbar, especially the General, English, and Reference icons. This would add significant ease to getting at the Tools one would use without having to drill down to those resources. Thanks

Harold Hosch

• 2 months later...

Great to now have the option to add an icon for each tool category to the toolbar. Thanks to the developers for responding to our requests!