Accordance doesn't open with iPad 2

JamesN

Well, I just got my brand new 64 GB Wi Fi iPad 2. I immediately plugged it into my Mac Pro and new copy of iTunes and allowed it to do a full restore based on what programs I had on my 64 GB Wi Fi original iPad.

Everything seems to have updated OK. I don't have Wi Fi at home (I use a cable modem plugged directly into my Mac Pro and rely on the fast Wi Fi at the local library for programs that need it). I'll need to get there

to get my Kindle program registered and my Borders application likewise. All of my Olive Tree biblereader materials were installed during the restore process- even the free ones, and they all seem to work.

The only problem that I have right now is Accordance. When I tap it to open I get the splash screen followed by an immediate crash (not a messy one- it just quits). Retries go the same way and if I go into the

"settings" program and choose Accordance and turn on "Remove last saved session" and then try to start Accordance the same immediate splash screen followed by crash.

Since I have a gigantic number of downloads from Accordance iPad including some massive photo applications (which I hope were included during the restore) I would really prefer not to have to wipe out the

application and reinstall it if it means I've got to download everything again. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Do you know whether the downloaded Accordance app should include everything from my Accordance library?

Thanks for any suggestions

I'm working on the same thing at the moment. Just picked up an iPad2 tonight. when it did the sync with iTunes, it copied over the Accordance app, but none of my modules. I don't know if I configured something wrong, or if that's just the way it is. Right now Accord is downloading all my modules via wireless. I suspect it will take quite a while, but there's no progress indicator, so no way to know how long it's going to go. (That would be a really helpful addition, BTW...!)

I'm working on the same thing at the moment. Just picked up an iPad2 tonight. when it did the sync with iTunes, it copied over the Accordance app, but none of my modules. I don't know if I configured something wrong, or if that's just the way it is. Right now Accord is downloading all my modules via wireless. I suspect it will take quite a while, but there's no progress indicator, so no way to know how long it's going to go. (That would be a really helpful addition, BTW...!)

So Rod, did it open at all or did it just open the splash screen and then quit? Perhaps I should just drive to the library tonight. I expect we should have a few more replies by tomorrow from others

who have gotten a new iPad.

Jim

So Rod, did it open at all or did it just open the splash screen and then quit? Perhaps I should just drive to the library tonight. I expect we should have a few more replies by tomorrow from others

who have gotten a new iPad.

Jim

It opened fine. I was able to poke around a bit with the minimal, default text and change a setting or two before I started the big download.

It opened fine. I was able to poke around a bit with the minimal, default text and change a setting or two before I started the big download.

I deleted Accordance from my iPad and then installed it again from my iTunes backup. Now it opens and has the free software that the iPad

app comes with. The main part of my Accordance software is nowhere to be seen. Now I get to re-download everything else again.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the modules do not get backed up, if I mind right this was a recommendation from apple to ensure that phone back ups don't take ages because of large accordance modules.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the modules do not get backed up, if I mind right this was a recommendation from apple to ensure that phone back ups don't take ages because of large accordance modules.

This is correct. We're following the recommendations that Apple developer support personally made to us. There are two flaws to this method, however:

1. Because Accordance modules aren't included in an iTunes backup and restore (although your user notes are) you have to either re-download all your content via EasyInstall or re-sync your content with desktop Accordance. In practice, the first method is inconvenient and the second method isn't available yet (although it's working great in internal testing and we should be doing the external beta test very, very soon).

2. We aren't properly handling the case where Accordance is restored from a backup, launched, and none of the expected content is actually installed. So we crash endlessly.

We'll definitely fix the second case, probably by automatically re-installing the internal "starter" modules set if we can't find any of the other content. The first case is one we need to take another look at. Maybe iTunes has gotten smarter about looking if anything has changed in an app's content rather than just blindly backing up everything (which took forever when we tested it.)

Scott.

What's the correct way to get Accordance to work with an upgraded iPad2 without losing user notes and customizations?

Exactly the same thing happened to me with a new iPad 2. Once I figured out what was going wrong, I deleted Accordance, and reinstalled it. Reinstalling the modules literally took a few hours Friday evening (lots of server disconnects), and again early Saturday AM, when the server seemed to work better. It's now back, but I had spent some time getting the modules in a certain order on my former iPad, and I had deleted some of the redundant modules, and others that I don't use. I just haven't taken the additional time to do it all over again.

Everything else, including an extensive library of electronic texts in iBooks and Good Reader, came over with the restore.

I wonder whether it would be better for Accordance to use Apple backup and restore for at least some of the modules, at least the ones that aren't gigantic in size.

This is correct. We're following the recommendations that Apple developer support personally made to us. There are two flaws to this method, however:

1. Because Accordance modules aren't included in an iTunes backup and restore (although your user notes are) you have to either re-download all your content via EasyInstall or re-sync your content with desktop Accordance. In practice, the first method is inconvenient and the second method isn't available yet (although it's working great in internal testing and we should be doing the external beta test very, very soon).

2. We aren't properly handling the case where Accordance is restored from a backup, launched, and none of the expected content is actually installed. So we crash endlessly.

We'll definitely fix the second case, probably by automatically re-installing the internal "starter" modules set if we can't find any of the other content. The first case is one we need to take another look at. Maybe iTunes has gotten smarter about looking if anything has changed in an app's content rather than just blindly backing up everything (which took forever when we tested it.)

Scott.

Scott,

I don't know how the Apple IOS 4.3 software works with regard to text files included in backups. I do know that I have loads of Olive Tree study bibles, dictionaries, a lot of their free book offerings etc. These all were completely intact after the initial synchronization with my copy of iTunes on my Mac. I had the option to "restore from the existing backup" from my iPad 1. Since I'm going to be wiping my original iPad clean and donating it to my church, I elected to use this method. They were not re-downloaded from the internet during this operation and I actually have two complete sets of all my Olive Tree books in two different versions of the Olive Tree application- one BibleReader 5 and the other being the HCSB SB.

When I attach my iPad 2 to the Mac now the initial synch operations have taken about 17 seconds for the "backup" phase each time I've connected it. No excessive loss of time.

Jim

Scott,

I don't know how the Apple IOS 4.3 software works with regard to text files included in backups. I do know that I have loads of Olive Tree study bibles, dictionaries, a lot of their free book offerings etc. These all were completely intact after the initial synchronization with my copy of iTunes on my Mac. I had the option to "restore from the existing backup" from my iPad 1. Since I'm going to be wiping my original iPad clean and donating it to my church, I elected to use this method. They were not re-downloaded from the internet during this operation and I actually have two complete sets of all my Olive Tree books in two different versions of the Olive Tree application- one BibleReader 5 and the other being the HCSB SB.

When I attach my iPad 2 to the Mac now the initial synch operations have taken about 17 seconds for the "backup" phase each time I've connected it. No excessive loss of time.

Jim

Jim,

Olive Tree (unlike ourselves and Logos for that matter) stores all downloaded content in the "Documents" folder of their iOS app which is backed up via iTunes. This is also the folder that some apps allow you to see within iTunes for document sharing. So it's no surprise that their content was fine during the backup and restore process.

In our initial testing using this folder to store the modules, we saw "minutes" not seconds. Now we were doing worst case scenarios like everything Oaktree sells, or backup of numerous large modules (PhotoGuide, GNT high res images, etc.).

We can certainly take another look at using that folder for the downloaded and synced content. But we have to fix the crash when restoring Accordance after a backup no matter what.

Scott.

Jim,

Olive Tree (unlike ourselves and Logos for that matter) stores all downloaded content in the "Documents" folder of their iOS app which is backed up via iTunes. This is also the folder that some apps allow you to see within iTunes for document sharing. So it's no surprise that their content was fine during the backup and restore process.

In our initial testing using this folder to store the modules, we saw "minutes" not seconds. Now we were doing worst case scenarios like everything Oaktree sells, or backup of numerous large modules (PhotoGuide, GNT high res images, etc.).

We can certainly take another look at using that folder for the downloaded and synced content. But we have to fix the crash when restoring Accordance after a backup no matter what.

Scott.

So, until the fix is out, how do we get Accordance working on the iPad2 without losing user notes? If I delete the app and reload it from the App Store, I know I can download my purchased modules again, but what about my user notes? Will they be there after the reinstall? Will I need to do a reinstall/sync to get them?

So, until the fix is out, how do we get Accordance working on the iPad2 without losing user notes? If I delete the app and reload it from the App Store, I know I can download my purchased modules again, but what about my user notes? Will they be there after the reinstall? Will I need to do a reinstall/sync to get them?

New installs of Accordance for iOS will work on the iPadv2 without issue. But that doesn't appear to be your case. Just so I understand correctly you have backed up Accordance from a previous iOS device and now want to restore it onto a new version 2 iPad?

Scott.

New installs of Accordance for iOS will work on the iPadv2 without issue. But that doesn't appear to be your case. Just so I understand correctly you have backed up Accordance from a previous iOS device and now want to restore it onto a new version 2 iPad?

Scott.

That's correct. I restored my old iPad backup to my new iPad2. I have a lot of user notes I'd hate to lose, so I want to be sure to do this right. Any advice?

That's correct. I restored my old iPad backup to my new iPad2. I have a lot of user notes I'd hate to lose, so I want to be sure to do this right. Any advice?

Bumping this up, as I don't want to try a restore until I know I won't lose my user notes.

Bumping this up, as I don't want to try a restore until I know I won't lose my user notes.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

This issue of not being able to restore without crashing will be fixed in the next version (since I'm working on it right now). For your current predicament I've tried to figure out an easy workaround but don't have one at the moment. There may be something we can try but i need to know a couple of things first. Do you still have the iOS device you did the backup from and if so, does it still have Accordance and your user notes on it? And are you an Accordance for Mac user?

Scott

Sorry for the delay in responding.

This issue of not being able to restore without crashing will be fixed in the next version (since I'm working on it right now). For your current predicament I've tried to figure out an easy workaround but don't have one at the moment. There may be something we can try but i need to know a couple of things first. Do you still have the iOS device you did the backup from and if so, does it still have Accordance and your user notes on it? And are you an Accordance for Mac user?

Scott

I have the original iPad, but I already wiped it. I am an Accordance for Mac user and love it.

Archived